Legal Brewing Limits

General homebrewing talk that doesn't fall specifically within the categories below.
docdave

Legal Brewing Limits

Post by docdave »

I am curious to know what the actual limit for producing beer for personal consumption in the province of Ontario. I see lots of posts in Canada and US where guys are using 50 gallon brewpots. It seems a bit extreme to me. I would just hate to see anyone get nailed for this by openly advertising that they are producing ridiculously large quantities of beer. Does anyone actually check if homebrewers are being monitored for this activity. Just a thought.

DocDave

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Re: Legal Brewing Limits

Post by bellybuster »

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario’s FAQ states: “You may make beer or wine at home as long as it is only for your personal consumption or to be given away free of charge. Homemade (or ‘u-brew’) beer or wine may not be sold or used commercially. Homemade spirits and the use of a still in a person’s home are illegal under the Excise Act of Canada.”

there is no limit stated "provincially". That said, the excise act is long and a tough read. There may be some federal limits.

Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post by Canuck »

There are no Provincial nor Federal restrictions on the amount of beer you can make for personal consumption. I actually asked this to both parties when I went through getting my Provincial and Federal licenses. Brew away! :cheers:

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

There are limits in some provinces, but none at the federal level and none in Ontario. Alberta has (or at least, had when I lived there) a limit similar to the one in the US.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat »

Alabama limits you to 15 gallons every 3 months. I would've exceeded that limit by Jan. 11. I'm up to 48 gallons already so far in 2014. I had let my pipeline run dry, gotta refill it!

ercousin
Favourite Beer: Fruited Lambic

Post by ercousin »

Reading the official requirements makes me wonder if they consider freeze distillation (ie making Eisbock) illegal. There is no physical still being used after all...
Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer
https://ericbrews.wordpress.com/

GTA Brews - Toronto's Local Homebrew Club
http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

The law in regards to hobby distillation in Canada (freezing or otherwise) is vague at best. The excise act greatly restricts distillation for commercial practices, but is silent on the topic of hobby distillation. I have read reports of hobbiests trying to get a licence for a still from the relevant agencies, only to be told the law doesn't have provisions for still licenses for home distillation.

The general view is that this makes home brewing illegal. I'm not sure that is right - generally, unless explicitly disallowed in law, activities are generally considered to be legal. As far as I've been able to find, home distillation (freezing or otherwise) is not explicitly banned (nor are their any provisions what-so-ever in the excise or other acts). In addition, in academic labs such as my own we frequently engage in distillation, and buy lab-grade distillation units, without the need for licencing. Lastly, there have been no prosecutions for violation of the excise act of any home distiller unless they tried to sell their liquor. Even in cases where people burned down their homes, or poisoned someone, they are charged under other acts rather than the exsize act.

YMMV, and I am not a lawyer....

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

joeg
Favourite Beer: Hard question

Post by joeg »

Canuck wrote:There are no Provincial nor Federal restrictions on the amount of beer you can make for personal consumption. I actually asked this to both parties when I went through getting my Provincial and Federal licenses. Brew away! :cheers:
Shane, I read through the NB Liquor Act a few months ago and due to this thread topic thought I return to it because I believed I saw a limit to what you can have in a residence so:

under "SALE AND POSSESSION OF LIQUOR" :

36 A person not prohibited from having possession of liquor may have in the person’s residence a maximum total of fifty gallons of wine, wine and beer or beer made by the person in the person’s residence, and a person who is not prohibited from consuming liquor may consume that wine or beer in that residence. 1971, c.43, s.5; 1974, c.26(Supp.), s.3; 1992, c.90, s.30

This doesn't place a limit on brewing capacity, per se, but does for batch size say if a homebrewer were to scale up (like 10 x 23 L at a time). :drunk:

Anyway - keep up the great work with Hammond River Brewing!