....and so it begins

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
ShiftlessBum
Favourite Beer: IPA

....and so it begins

Post #1 by ShiftlessBum » 6 years ago

The Dream - To have beer on tap at home!

I've begun the process of making a kegerator, which to some of you may seem like no big deal. To me though this is going to be a major accomplishment....lol. I'm not exactly what you'd call handy, and up until just a few short years ago had never actually touched a power tool in my entire life. Not even to move it from Point A to Point B, so the thought of having to drill holes through a fridge without breaking the cooling lines, etc. is going to be fun.

So here's the keg (plan on picking up a 2nd one today)

And the shiny new fridge

Removed the shelves

Took out the door insert

Now I have an empty fridge

Going to have to unhook and move this somewhere else as it's going to be in the way once I drill a hole for the tower, but it can wait as for now I only have the little temporary taps

Got this done when I noticed a couple of problems, without the door insert the fridge light stays on all the time. Grabbed the handy roll of duck tape and took care of that, but will need to either dismantle that switch or find a more permanent solution. Sigh

Another issue, without the door insert the rubber gasket around the fridge door doesn't seal properly, not even after duck taping the crap out of it

So now I'm going to need to buy some tools.....was hoping I could get away with duct tape and a screw driver for now but guess I'm going to need a saw of some sort and a drill as well.

Need a saw so I can either saw this up to remove the excess

Or I'm going to need to buy some really thin strapping of some sort to help hold the gasket on.

Well, it's a start at any rate......more to come as the project continues......
No man is an island, though some of us are fairly large peninsulas.
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: ....and so it begins

Post #2 by Warthaug » 6 years ago

I just got mine up & running - you wont regret it. My only "problem" is I seem to be going quicker through the beer...

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
Jack

Post #3 by Jack » 6 years ago

I have the exact same fridge. Did you put the door seal back on? I did and it sealed properly. I removed the light and drilled the hole for the beer line where the light used to be. Good luck with the project.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
ShiftlessBum

Post #4 by ShiftlessBum » 6 years ago

Jack wrote:I have the exact same fridge. Did you put the door seal back on? I did and it sealed properly.

I did put the seal back on but it's obviously not sealing properly. Even using duck tape, with the door closed I can see the light from inside the fridge shining all around the door gasket. Think I'm going to buy a dremel tool, put the insert back on and then just try cutting away the pieces I don't need.

Tools needed still to complete project:

Dremel or jig saw
Drill with bits (one to cut hole for tower and one to drill through side of fridge for gas lines. Since my CO2 tank doesn't fit inside with both kegs)
Spray foam insulation
XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post #5 by XXXXX » 6 years ago

ShiftlessBum wrote:I did put the seal back on but it's obviously not sealing properly. Even using duck tape, with the door closed I can see the light from inside the fridge shining all around the door gasket. Think I'm going to buy a dremel tool, put the insert back on and then just try cutting away the pieces I don't need.

Tools needed still to complete project:

Dremel or jig saw
Drill with bits (one to cut hole for tower and one to drill through side of fridge for gas lines. Since my CO2 tank doesn't fit inside with both kegs)
Spray foam insulation

I used a drywall knife (exacto knife) to cut the surround away and then re-used it. It worked very well, perfect original seal. You can find my how-to in the DIY section.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*
birvine

Post #6 by birvine » 6 years ago

Exact same fridge before. I used the removed door panel as a template and used a sheet of lexan to cover the hole and attach the seal. Worked great. I taped beer coasters to it as I got them. Plumbers shiny duct tape works great to hold the light switch off.

Brent
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery
Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post #7 by Canuck » 6 years ago

Awesome man, congrats on getting the kegerator build underway! Once you have one, you'll wonder how you've always done with out. I built mine the first of this year and my only regret was not going bigger. I've got four taps on mine but could easily use another two. I've come to realize that with home brewing no matter what you have you always want bigger and better. :rolleyes:
B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post #8 by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT » 6 years ago

ShiftlessBum wrote:The Dream - To have beer on tap at home!

I've begun the process of making a kegerator, which to some of you may seem like no big deal. To me though this is going to be a major accomplishment....lol

In my opinion this is a big deal! Proper dispensing equipment is important to store and serve your brew! I look forward to seing the end result.

Cheers!

Scott
ShiftlessBum

Post #9 by ShiftlessBum » 6 years ago

I appreciate the words of support! Truthfully, I'm a total geek and know close to nothing about tools and how to use them. Coupled with an inability to see a straight line/level makes me less than handy. But, I do like taking things apart and seeing how they work, I just need to remember how things go back together is all......

Exacto knife! Why didn't I think of that? I even have one of those. Currently I've just applied extra duck tape (is there anything you can't do with duck tape?) to kind of squeeze the door shut, which is helping to keep it sealed.
I'm impatient as I have a keg carbonating in there right now and am hoping to have my first taste of "Nutty SkidMarc" in the the next day or so!

I will continue to update my progress and let you know how it works out.

:facepalm:
Jack

Post #10 by Jack » 6 years ago

Another thing you can do is use some window/door weather stripping on the fridge side to meet the rubber seal on the door.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Return to “Bottling & Kegging”