Simple All-Grain Setup

Why buy your homebrewing equipment if you can make it? Share completed DIY projects and future plans and ideas alike!
Sixstring78

Simple All-Grain Setup

Post #1 by Sixstring78 » 6 years ago

For those who want to go all grain, but think it's too expensive or complicated, here's my little setup. It ain't pretty but it works! lol
I can do 6 gallon batches with this setup. However, if I had a bigger brew pot I could do 10 gallon batches as the cooler can actually hold up to 12 gallons for mashing and laudering.
What I do (actually, what I did, I've only brewed one AG batch so far): Heat strike water in pot. Pour strike water and grains into mash tun. While mashing heat sparge water up in pot. Sparge and drain back into pot. Boil in pot. Transfer to fermenter.
I bought a 8 cup pyrex measuring cup, the biggest I could find, to transfer the water from the pot to the tun for mashing and laudering as well as from the pot after the boil to the fermenter(sanitized the measuring cup of course for this step).
Here's the list and a approx. breakdown of cost:

1. Turkey fryer and pot - Had this for the past 10 years, so I don't know how much it would cost. $70?
2. 48qt Coleman cooler - $26
3. Washing machine hose(braided stainless steel housing a plastic tubing inside), ball valve, barbed connectors ect., basically everything inside the cooler - Approx. $50
Here's a YouTube video on how to assemble it. Takes 10min. (to assemble, not to watch the vid) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftY_HZAFJFc
4. Wort chiller - Approx. $75 for copper tubing(refridgeration tubing from Home Depot) and hose adaptor and plastic tubing.
5. 8 cup pyrex measuring cup - $9 from Walmart
6. Mash paddle from IHB - $13
7. 6' Silicone tubing from IHB(from mash tun to pot, plenty of length at 6') - $20

Total cost: $263

I don't know about you, but that sounds like a few bar tabs I've had at the end of the night. Not a bad investment if you ask me! lol
You might not even need all of this equipment, so it might be cheaper for you. All I have to say is I noticed a big difference in the wort instantly doing all grain compared to extract. Much tastier!
And if you're affraid that this system won't work well at all, on my first ever all grain brew I got 74% efficiency. It can only go up from there. I hope. lol

There's a few things I want to improve on as time goes on like soldering proper hose adaptors to the wort chiller and making a better manifold out of copper piping for the mash tun. Ultimately I'm trying to get to a three keggle system with a pump and all. But Rome wasn't built in a day, and my wife won't let my brewery be either. LOL
But for now, this is a good easy to build start. You could probably put everything together in about an hour or so.
Attachments
Inside Mash Tun.jpg
Wort Chiller.jpg
Setup.jpg
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"
ihomebrewing

Re: Simple All-Grain Setup

Post #2 by ihomebrewing » 6 years ago

So simple, even that dog can do it!
cm961

Post #3 by cm961 » 6 years ago

Here's hoping for the turkey fryer for my bday coming up! Great post.
ihomebrewing

Post #4 by ihomebrewing » 6 years ago

IHB Information Sticky!
Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post #5 by Canuck » 5 years ago

Sixstring, your mash tun looks very familiar! :)

ANGELofDEBT

Post #6 by ANGELofDEBT » 5 years ago

Canuck wrote:Sixstring, your mash tun looks very familiar! :)

What am I missing here? Did you guys remove the inner plastic part of the hose? Is there a link on how to build this type of mash tun?
Fermenting: Mild
Bottled: None
Lagering: None
Stout Tap - Oatmeal Stout
Tap 2 - Honey Blonde
Tap 3 - Czech Pilsner
Tap 4 - AIPA
Brasserie 1632
birvine

Post #7 by birvine » 5 years ago

Yes, the inner hose is removed so the wort can exit out the mesh and into your BK.

Brent
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery
Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post #8 by Canuck » 5 years ago

ANGELofDEBT wrote:
Canuck wrote:Sixstring, your mash tun looks very familiar! :)

What am I missing here? Did you guys remove the inner plastic part of the hose? Is there a link on how to build this type of mash tun?

Yep, like Brent mentioned, the plastic tube was removed. Coiled 16 gauge wire was inserted into the hose for rigidity. Take a look at his video, it's basically what I followed to make my mash tun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftY_HZAFJFc
Sixstring78

Post #9 by Sixstring78 » 5 years ago

There is a YouTube link in my post under item #3. The video will show you how to do everything.
Most likely the same video that Canuck linked to.
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #10 by Warthaug » 5 years ago

Resuscitating an oldish thread here, but hoping for a bit more info. I'm in the process of rebuilding my all-grain setup (currently just making brewhouse kits - that's go to go). In the past I've had a 20gal gott-style beverage cooler. It was good for the false bottom I had/have, but had the drawback of a deeper grain bed, meaning more stuck sparges and the like. I've been looking at the systems like the one here, and was wondering:

1) How deep does the grain bed end up being, assuming a normal-sized batch (10-15lbs grain)?
2) Do people batch or continually sparge (I've never tried batch sparging, but was thinking of giving it a go)?
3) Does anyone know what the thermal mass of a system like this is - my brewing software wants to know?

Thanx in advance!

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Return to “DIY Projects”