Want to try a Kolsch beer

Share your favourite homebrew recipes with other Canadian Home Brewers.
jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Want to try a Kolsch beer

Post by jamatron » 2 years ago

So can someone school me on the basics of a kolsch ? I thought it was an ale but from what i'm reading people are using kolsch or lager yeast and fermenting at lagering temps. Am i wrong on this? Do i need a fermentation chamber for this? (because this would be a good excuse for another build :D ). I am a week away from cracking my next keg so i bought some Big Rock Rhinestone Cowboy tonight. It said it was a Kolsch style ale, but i'll be damned if that ain't a lager- very clean taste with slight hints of fruitiness. Bottle said pilsiner and vienna malts and noble hops.
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: Want to try a Kolsch beer

Post by Reignman » 2 years ago

I brew Kolsch beers all the time. I am brewing one right now. I used to use Wyeast 2565, but found it either took too long or wouldn't finish completely. I switched to WLP029 and have found it to ferment fast with cool temps. I ferment it at around 16 C - 17 C in my ferment chamber. I do think you need a fermenting chamber to keep it at that temp. When fermentation starts to slow down, I take it out and toss it on the bench to finish so I can go ahead and brew another beer. I make a larger starter with this beer as I sometimes ferment it cooler than White Labs says.

jamatron

Reignman wrote:I brew Kolsch beers all the time. I am brewing one right now. I used to use Wyeast 2565, but found it either took too long or wouldn't finish completely. I switched to WLP029 and have found it to ferment fast with cool temps. I ferment it at around 16 C - 17 C in my ferment chamber. I do think you need a fermenting chamber to keep it at that temp. When fermentation starts to slow down, I take it out and toss it on the bench to finish so I can go ahead and brew another beer. I make a larger starter with this beer as I sometimes ferment it cooler than White Labs says.
Do you step up a starter or just make say a 4l starter from scratch? Also why do you need more yeast at cooler temps is just so that you don't have to wait forever to get your FG?
-Flying Monkeys

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman » 2 years ago

I brew 13 gallons at a time and find that I need to step up my starters to get the amount of yeast cells I need. As far as making more yeast than I need? I have no scientific proof at all as to why I do this. Just what I do I guess. I mostly do it with lager yeast and just went with it for my Kolsch beers.

jamatron

Thanks Reignman, I guess if it works for you then it should work for me... :cheers:
-Flying Monkeys