Cold Filter

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
willy
Favourite Beer: cold

Cold Filter

Post by willy » 6 years ago

I got tired of the chill haze and the other not so clear stuff in my beer.
I cold filtered my last batch of brew using a wine filter machine with course filters straight into
my corny keg. Has anyone else tried this before , the brew going into my keg looked a whole lot better.
Any thoughts, :stirpot:
Force Brewing

Last brew: Awesome Hopshot Ale

Kegged: AHA

Bottled:

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Re: Cold Filter

Post by Reignman » 6 years ago

I filtered a couple of times and weren't that impressed with the beer. I thought the process was a pita. Gelatine works for me. After the course filter, can you go with a tighter filter?

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro » 6 years ago

I cold crash and always have crystal clear brew
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 6 years ago

Getting rid of chill haze requires tight filtering, which'll also remove some flavours. I don't think a course wine filter would do much, aside from strip out the yeast.

Cold crash + gelatin +3 days, or cold crash + 3 weeks = crystal clear beers every time, in my experience.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

willy
Favourite Beer: cold

Post by willy » 6 years ago

gelatin it is then, I'll give it a try , thanks for the info
Force Brewing

Last brew: Awesome Hopshot Ale

Kegged: AHA

Bottled:

elreplica
Favourite Beer: Stella Artois

Post by elreplica » 6 years ago

I have used and own a Vino Buono wine filter, as do a number of U Brews with good results. Old crashing and then filtering gies the best results, but now I generally just rack, crash, and keg as the jet filter is, as quoted earlier, a pita sometimes.

elreplica
Favourite Beer: Stella Artois

Post by elreplica » 4 years ago

Update: lately I've been cold crashing and filtering my beer before kegging. It comes out crystal clear. I do not however filter my bottled beer, as the filter will strip out yeast required for priming. Both beers taste unique. If I need quick draught, I filter and keg. If I've got patience, I bottle clear, lager and wait.

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat » 4 years ago

If the filter you're referring to is one of the ones where you "stack" together several filters and push the beer through it, I believe there is a substantial risk (practically guaranteed, actually) of oxidizing the beer. If you're going to filter your beer, the "proper" way to do it is using one of those canister filters with the cylindrical spun poly filter inside, where you can completely purge the unit with CO2 prior to pushing beer through it.

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

I think the coarse pads are 5-6 microns and would not strip out the yeast. From what I'm reading, it would take a 1 or even .5 micron filter to remove all the yeast from suspension. Even the #2 pads from the buon vino shouldn't strip out all the yeast as its rated at 2 microns. All of this is, as mentioned earlier, from what I've been reading.

I was gifted one of these things a while back and was playing with it yesterday. Just filtering water but I had to learn how to use it. A few Youtube vids later, and I'm an expert lol.

I don't know if I'll filter any beer with it, probably only wine. I was thinking, however, that I might start to use it for all my racking. Seems a hell of a lot easier then messing with an autosyphon. Just put the in and out lines from the pump in a bottle of star san and recirculate, then pump the beer/wine from fermenter to secondary/bottling bucket.

Anyone using this thing as a transfer device?
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat » 4 years ago

Again, the threat is oxidation. I would never use one of those things for my beer.