What Kegging Equipment?

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
comforteagle
Favourite Beer: cold

What Kegging Equipment?

Post by comforteagle » 4 years ago

I just got a freezer of kijiji for building a kegerator!

Next is the keg gear.... What should I be looking for in kegging hardware??
Brewing Newb!
Fermentor:
Hawaiian Belgian Blonde Ale (experiment)

Bottles:
Festa Pale Ale
Best Case Honey Brown
Festa Oatmeal Stout

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Re: What Kegging Equipment?

Post by Reignman » 4 years ago

C02 regulator, ( dual guage ), temp controler, C02 tank, 2 kegs, SS Perlick tap, beer and gas line. This is just what I have got, I am sure there is much more stuff to get. Are you going to use your keezer for serving? If so, you may want to build a collar for it to install a tap or two. It really is limitless. I don't serve from my keezer, just conditioning kegs. It fits 4 kegs and I usually transfer from keg to keg after the addition of gelatin and carb up in my fridge. OBK has free shipping on right now, so that may interest you if the prices are better than where you live in NB.

comforteagle

Reignman wrote:C02 regulator, ( dual guage ), temp controler, C02 tank, 2 kegs, SS Perlick tap, beer and gas line. This is just what I have got, I am sure there is much more stuff to get. Are you going to use your keezer for serving? If so, you may want to build a collar for it to install a tap or two. It really is limitless. I don't serve from my keezer, just conditioning kegs. It fits 4 kegs and I usually transfer from keg to keg after the addition of gelatin and carb up in my fridge. OBK has free shipping on right now, so that may interest you if the prices are better than where you live in NB.
I'm going to serve from it & am going to put a collar on it. Why 'perlick' taps?
Brewing Newb!
Fermentor:

Bottles:
Festa Pale Ale
Best Case Honey Brown
Festa Oatmeal Stout

SeanGodd
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist

Post by SeanGodd » 4 years ago

comforteagle wrote:
Reignman wrote:C02 regulator, ( dual guage ), temp controler, C02 tank, 2 kegs, SS Perlick tap, beer and gas line. This is just what I have got, I am sure there is much more stuff to get. Are you going to use your keezer for serving? If so, you may want to build a collar for it to install a tap or two. It really is limitless. I don't serve from my keezer, just conditioning kegs. It fits 4 kegs and I usually transfer from keg to keg after the addition of gelatin and carb up in my fridge. OBK has free shipping on right now, so that may interest you if the prices are better than where you live in NB.
I'm going to serve from it & am going to put a collar on it. Why 'perlick' taps?
Perlicks are high end taps. You really want to make sure you are getting "front" closing taps not "rear" closing taps. The rear closing taps stick and are a pain in the ass. I bought some and ended up upgrading 2 months later.

Not the real question is Stainless or chrome. I would make sure you shanks are SS. If not you will run the plating off them in the first year and guess what you drank it lol. You can get Chrome perlicks for about 1/2 the price of SS so there is saving there. If you can't afford the perlicks I suggest using picnic taps (cobra taps) until you can.

OBK has good passthrough kits available but not sure what shipping would be like for you. I think he has free shiping over $200.

Pin - http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Pass_Thr ... _s/183.htm
Ball - http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Pass_Thr ... _s/122.htm
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

GreatBrewEh

Post by GreatBrewEh » 4 years ago

:D
I am all set up, dialed in, producing nicely but ya there was a LOT of stuff to buy, maybe more than I would have had I known up front. Luckily I, nor the wife knew the true setup cost and I was able to do it, now it is great great beer at a fraction the cost with no tax on supplies it really doesn't get any better than that.................. :D
"BREW BIG OR GO HOME!

comforteagle

GreatBrewEh wrote::D
I am all set up, dialed in, producing nicely but ya there was a LOT of stuff to buy, maybe more than I would have had I known up front. Luckily I, nor the wife knew the true setup cost and I was able to do it, now it is great great beer at a fraction the cost with no tax on supplies it really doesn't get any better than that.................. :D
Until I'm done I'm just going to keep telling myself that bottling sucks & rock myself back n forth.

I bought the setup for two perlick taps w SS & am going to pick up two or three new kegs once I have the keezer done to spread out the expense (fooling myself).

Also, I can't imagine the hell of buying a used keg that blows in the keezer.
Brewing Newb!
Fermentor:

Bottles:
Festa Pale Ale
Best Case Honey Brown
Festa Oatmeal Stout

Reignman

There is nothing wrong with used kegs. I have 10. It's the parts you have pay attention to. Check out the poppets, o rings, keg posts etc. If the parts are new you are good to go. Used kegs usually had pop in them and the o rings need to be replaced. I don't know even if used kegs are available now. All mine are at least 20 years old.

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

OBK just had a sale on used kegs for $52 i believe...

Reignman

I smuggled most of mine up from the US back in the day. $52.00 a keg is acceptable in today's prices. Buy 4 and get free shipping.