Leaking gas from quick connect

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Leaking gas from quick connect

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

I've noticed a rather large decrease in the amount of gas in my CO2 tank (I don't think the dial needle on the regulator is supposed to move that much from carbing), and have found the problem to be a leak that seems to come and go at the gas QC on the keg (ball lock).

What are trouble shooting steps to see if I need a new post, or simply replace the o-rings? Could I need a new grey QC?
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

OntarioBeerkegs

Re: Leaking gas from quick connect

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » 4 years ago

Start with ensuring you have the right disconnect. White/Gray goes on the gas post. The gas post can be identified by having notches on the side of the nut or the nut is a star shaped.
Ensure your poppet is free of debris and is travelling to a full open position with no obstructions.
Universal poppets may need to have a coil trimmed off to increase space inside the post it can compress. (bottoming out)
Ensure you have the correct size o-ring on the post and it is lubricated and in good shape. Replace as needed.
Inspect the disconnect for dislodged bearings.
Canadian Homebrew Supplies
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER

jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by jamatron » 4 years ago

There is also a slot on the top of the QD for a flathead screwdiver to dismantle it, make sure its tight and not loose, i've had gas leak from there before
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post by Wingeezer » 4 years ago

I would first immerse the connector under water (while gas pressure is on) to see where the leak is from - it could be for example

- from the hose connection
- from a crack in the plastic
- from a leaking cap screw or seal.

If you unscrew the cap the whole thing comes apart easily. I have had good luck in fixing leaking valves in the connector just by dismantling, making sure the valve seat is clean, putting a little O-ring grease on the O-ring and re-assembling.

On another connector one time, I did find a crack in the plastic and had to discard the connector.

Over the few years I have been brewing, I have lost a couple of full 5# tanks of CO2 through leaks. Frustrating! What I do now - except when I leave the gas pressure on to carbonate, is to shut the bottle valve whenever I am not actually using the kegerator for a "Session!"

Brian
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.