Primary to Secondary, yes/no, pro/cons

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
canuck22
Posts: 10
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Beer: Stella

Primary to Secondary, yes/no, pro/cons

Post by canuck22 » 4 years ago

Good morning all, here is my first question...

I have batch of Muntons lager going since last Sunday in a pail, I just got a brand new Spiedel 30L fermenter, do I transfer? do I bottle? Would I benefit, ie. clearing, what do you folks do and why?

Thanks

User avatar
SeanGodd
Posts: 817
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist
Location: Pakenham, ON

Re: Primary to Secondary, yes/no, pro/cons

Post by SeanGodd » 4 years ago

I never transfer to secondary vessel. But I use carboys. This way I can see if the yeast has flocc'd out and the beer is clear. Since you are using a bucket it may be beneficial to transfer. But I feel that transferring does not make a clearer beer IMO.

All this being said I am starting to transfer to a secondary vessel now because I am harvesting yeast. This way I can get the yeast off fresher. Also if I DH I can leave that out of the slurry.
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

User avatar
Reignman
Posts: 1794
Joined: 8 years ago
Favourite Beer: Bitters
Location: Cavan, Ont.

Re: Primary to Secondary, yes/no, pro/cons

Post by Reignman » 4 years ago

I would toss in a new batch in that 30 L fermenter and let the Muntons clear awhile longer. Pretty much what SeanGodd said.

canuck22
Posts: 10
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Beer: Stella

Re: Primary to Secondary, yes/no, pro/cons

Post by canuck22 » 4 years ago

Reignman wrote:I would toss in a new batch in that 30 L fermenter and let the Muntons clear awhile longer. Pretty much what SeanGodd said.
Ok, so how much longer? 1, 2 more weeks then bottle and carbonate in one shot?

Thanks

User avatar
SeanGodd
Posts: 817
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist
Location: Pakenham, ON

Re: Primary to Secondary, yes/no, pro/cons

Post by SeanGodd » 4 years ago

I would give it at least 2-3 weeks total. What temp is this sitting at?

How are you carbing? I'm guessing you are bottle conditioning. If so then yes I would give it 2 more weeks in the bucket then transfer to your bottling bucket, add priming sugar and transfer to the bottles. Leave for 3 weeks at room temp, Chill and serve :)
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

canuck22
Posts: 10
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Beer: Stella

Re: Primary to Secondary, yes/no, pro/cons

Post by canuck22 » 4 years ago

SeanGodd wrote:I would give it at least 2-3 weeks total. What temp is this sitting at?

How are you carbing? I'm guessing you are bottle conditioning. If so then yes I would give it 2 more weeks in the bucket then transfer to your bottling bucket, add priming sugar and transfer to the bottles. Leave for 3 weeks at room temp, Chill and serve :)
Temp in the room is fairly consistent 19-20, I'll be using those little candies for carbing.

User avatar
SeanGodd
Posts: 817
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist
Location: Pakenham, ON

Re: Primary to Secondary, yes/no, pro/cons

Post by SeanGodd » 4 years ago

canuck22 wrote:
SeanGodd wrote:
Temp in the room is fairly consistent 19-20, I'll be using those little candies for carbing.
Even easier. I do find they sometimes don't dissolve properly. After about week in the bottle take a look and make sure they have dissolved. If not just gently tip them back and forth until they are mix around a bit. I find this helps them fully dissolve. Only do this with the ones that you can clearly see the rock still intact.
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

canuck22
Posts: 10
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Beer: Stella

Re: Primary to Secondary, yes/no, pro/cons

Post by canuck22 » 4 years ago

SeanGodd wrote:
canuck22 wrote:
SeanGodd wrote:
Temp in the room is fairly consistent 19-20, I'll be using those little candies for carbing.
Even easier. I do find they sometimes don't dissolve properly. After about week in the bottle take a look and make sure they have dissolved. If not just gently tip them back and forth until they are mix around a bit. I find this helps them fully dissolve. Only do this with the ones that you can clearly see the rock still intact.
Thanks!! I'll share my results later, time to start a Mex Cerveza in my new Spiedel!

User avatar
SeanGodd
Posts: 817
Joined: 5 years ago
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist
Location: Pakenham, ON

Re: Primary to Secondary, yes/no, pro/cons

Post by SeanGodd » 4 years ago

canuck22 wrote: Thanks!! I'll share my results later, time to start a Mex Cerveza in my new Spiedel!
Awesome! so are you using lager yeast with this? Make sure you ferment on the cold side if you do.
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

canuck22
Posts: 10
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Beer: Stella

Re: Primary to Secondary, yes/no, pro/cons

Post by canuck22 » 4 years ago

SeanGodd wrote:
canuck22 wrote: Thanks!! I'll share my results later, time to start a Mex Cerveza in my new Spiedel!
Awesome! so are you using lager yeast with this? Make sure you ferment on the cold side if you do.
Using the yeast that came with the can

Post Reply