No flow from the taps - I can't figure it out

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Baulz
Favourite Beer: Mine

No flow from the taps - I can't figure it out

Post by Baulz » 4 years ago

Have never had this problem before, I'm confused.

- Kegged my annual Hoppy Holidays Black IPA, carbed it up and left in the cold room for a couple weeks while waiting for space in the fridge.
- Put it in the fridge and let it sit for a couple days before tapping it
- Was only getting a dribble out of the tap. Double checked the CO2 and the disconnect was hooked up right, everything looked fine.
- Took the tap apart and cleaned the line (needed to be done anyways) to confirm no blockages anywhere. Still just a dribble
- Last night I put a liquid out disconnect on the CO2 tank and blasted 20psi through the Beer Out dip tube on the keg to make sure nothing was blocking it. Heard lots of bubbles so it was definatly flowing through. Still just a dribble out the taps.

I have run out of ideas. :S

Do I siphon to another keg? Have never done that with carbed beer. Might try connecting that keg to a different tap line as well.

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Re: No flow from the taps - I can't figure it out

Post by kombat » 4 years ago

Sounds like maybe your "gas in" post is blocked. Is the beer actually carbed?

Baulz

kombat wrote:Sounds like maybe your "gas in" post is blocked. Is the beer actually carbed?
Yes it's carbed. I can hear gas going in when I turn the pressure up. But I will try bleeding off some pressure from the gas in port tonight to double check that's not the problem.

edit: Since I added gas through the liquid out post last night there should have been enough pressure to pour a pint even if the "gas in" is blocked. I'm worried the problem is with the liquid out pin lock post, don't want to take it apart when the keg is full.

jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by jamatron » 4 years ago

Baulz wrote:
kombat wrote:Sounds like maybe your "gas in" post is blocked. Is the beer actually carbed?
Yes it's carbed. I can hear gas going in when I turn the pressure up. But I will try bleeding off some pressure from the gas in port tonight to double check that's not the problem.

edit: Since I added gas through the liquid out post last night there should have been enough pressure to pour a pint even if the "gas in" is blocked. I'm worried the problem is with the liquid out pin lock post, don't want to take it apart when the keg is full.

There shouldn't be any problem taking the post apart when the keg is full, its basically just a housing with a seat attached to a spring on the inside. Just take a skinny screwdriver and push down on the seat to make sure it goes down ( make sure you've opened your releif valve first so there is no pressure or you'll get wet!) To be thorough id wrench it off the keg and make sure no obstruction is under it restricting flow. If thats all fine check the 'beer out' dissconnet and make sure the pin isn't broke or worn to the point that it wont fully open(they are only plastic and i've hammered on one once to get it to seat and had it break). :facepalm:
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » 4 years ago

My kegerator is a small danby that I converted. I can stuff 2 corneys and the 5lb co2 in there. I have on a couple of occasions not been too careful about my beer lines when stuffing in a new keg. If a line touches the back chill plate it will freeze and no beer will come out.
I'd check that if your fridge is similar.

Dave
Favourite Beer: mine

Post by Dave » 4 years ago

I have pin locks.
I have had this issue when using a "universal" poppet.
The pin in the connector on the beer line on some types
are not as long as on others, and don't push down far enough.
The poppet spring is forcing up stronger than an originally supplied poppet.
Cutting of a TINY amount of spring allows a seal, and allows the pin to push far enough to get flow.
Caveat : The base of the spring is now sharp, slightly more open, and can, sometimes, catch and misshape the upper flange on the dip tube.
I've had to add a thin washer in between dip and poppet.
A pain, but, a solution.
I'm trying to source old style disconnects, low profile, like the ball lock are.
I have some that work well.

Baulz

Thanks for the tips everyone. It does eeem to be related to the gas dip tube. When I turn up the regulator it goes from a drip to a trickle out the tap lol. I'm going to pull the keg out of the fridge tonight, have been avoiding that as long as possible.

I did manage to pour a pint last night, it took about 15 minutes!

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » 4 years ago

it may be unrelated, but I recently put in a keg of my german pils, and nothing came out. Swapped lines to my other tap and it worked fine.
I then noticed that some beer had flowed back up into my gas line, so I took off the connection and blew it out. All good now. Guess I should connect the beer line before the gas line next time!

Baulz

Final update, I gave up. Transferred to a different keg and it's all good now.

Going to take the keg apart when I have a chance to try and find the problem.

Baulz

Final final update. Took the keg apart and the liquid dip tube had a ton of pellets hop sludge blocking it. I was surprised that much got into the keg, plus a did give it a hard blast of CO2 down the tube trying to clear it out.

The beer did have 3oz of dry hops and I never did cold crash it so there must have still been lots of debris in suspension when I transferrred it.