Priming with DME

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Priming with DME

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

I've heard some people prime their bottles with DME. Does this appreciably affect the flavour? For me to use DME, I'd have to buy it online and pay for the shipping, which could get expensive. Would it be worth the cost, or would I be better off priming with dextrose or table sugar?

Many kits have instructions that say to make 23L batches, but they tend to taste weak, so I now make 19L batches. Would priming bottles with DME better the flavour enough to make 23L?
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Re: Priming with DME

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

May have very slight effect on flavour but doubtful it will be '4L extra beer' enough. DME isnt 100% fermentable like sugar so it would require more of it to do the same c02 volume.(30-50% more according to popular priming calculators) I have also read that it will create a bit of a krausen in the bottle, which may cause less clarity/more gunk in the bottom? And possibly more time before the beer clears, just guessing here tho.

Since you would require more and its way more pricey than sugar, I don't think its worth using it to prime. You may be better off just adding it before initial fermentation if you want a stronger beer, and then priming with sugar...

Venari

Thanks for the info Goulaigan.

I suppose I could try adding some DME into the wort when I make it with LME, but that seems like an added cost to achieve what following the instructions should already give me. Given my remote location, I don't think BIAB is really an option, especially when I don't really have a convenient or cost effective way to cool the wort.

At least with LME I just add about 15 liters of cold water.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Dee Envy
Favourite Beer: HomeBrew

Post by Dee Envy » 4 years ago

Venari, just a note on your BIAB comment.
I BIAB exclusively and just let the wort cool in the kettle overnight and then transfer to the fermentor. There are many people who do this and never have a problem.
I have read on different forums that some even pitch the yeast directly into the kettle and produce fine beer.Don't let the cooling aspect deter you from trying BIAB.
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer

Goulaigan

Agree with Dee here, don't let chilling worry you, I also slow/no chill in the kettle, overnight in the summer, couple hours outside in the winter. I have done probly 15 batches or so now, just throw the lid on after the boil and let it sit in the wood shed. If you are already doing extract, all you need is a bag and a good thermometer and you can do all grain BIAB, although it may be tricky getting grain given your location...

I started with extract last January and after 3 or 4 batches, went to BIAB and never looked back. Could never go back to that twangy taste I get from extract and I really have no desire to go 3 vessel with more equipment, time and especially cleaning for the same end product. I entered 2 bjcp comps so far with my BIAB brews and placed 2nd in one and 3rd in the other, BIAB is efficient, easy and makes great beer!

Venari

Are there any large pots that can be done on an electric stove? We don't really have propane up here. Also, what size would be best for 5 gallon batches?

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Post by Reignman » 4 years ago

At least 7 gallon pots. Electric stoves sometimes struggle to get a good boil with bigger pots. A heat stick will help, but they aren't cheap. What about a Cajun cooker? Can you get 20 lb. propane cylinders up there?

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

If all else fails, do the BIAB mash in a 5 or 6 gallon bucket and then split the wort into two pots for the boil. Split all your hop additions evenly and boil the two pots on your stove and combine the two finished worts into one 5 gallon batch for fermenting. Or keep the two batches separate and ferment with two different yeasts. This would help you understand the flavors of your yeasts.

If you can't get propane, what about natural gas? Or maybe furnace oil and a jerry-rigged old oil furnace burner? Or maybe look into building an electric boil kettle. Just install an electric water heater element through the wall of a big vessel (pot or even heat proof bucket) and boil away.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Goulaigan

I have a 60 litre pot that works great for 5-6 gallon batches, but I can't quite do 10 gals in it unless I hold back water from mash. If I had to do it again I would have bought a 20Gal pot. I think a 7 gallon pot would be pushing it for 5 gallon biab batches, but definitely possible, do you have to hold back any water from mash Reignman? When I do a bigger (7% ish) beer my total mash volume is upwards of 12 gallons to get 6 into fermentor...

If you can't get propane, electric as SmokeyMcB says is probably your best bet.

Venari

Reignman wrote:At least 7 gallon pots. Electric stoves sometimes struggle to get a good boil with bigger pots. A heat stick will help, but they aren't cheap. What about a Cajun cooker? Can you get 20 lb. propane cylinders up there?
I ordered a CO2 tank back in august I'm still waiting on. I don't think they'll actually ship a flammable pressurized gas.