Priming for kegs?

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
hawkbox

Priming for kegs?

Post #1 by hawkbox » 1 year ago

I'm not finding a clear answer on this anywhere and want to know before I do something stupid.

When I keg a batch of beer, do I still prime it like I would with bottles? I have the CO2 tank for the tap so I'm a little iffy on the logistics of that part.
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Re: Priming for kegs?

Post #2 by Warthaug » 1 year ago

You can force carbonate with he co2 tank - therebare a lot of guides out there for doing this, but the easiest is to chill the beer to serving temps, attach the co2, and set it to 12psi. In 5-7 days the beer will be carbed and ready to serve. You can carb faster at higher pressure, but there is a risk of over carbing. 30psi for 24 hours works well; aftwr lower the pressure to 12 for serving.

If you want to carb with sugar you need to use less sugar to account for the lower headspace (relative to the amount of beer, compared to bottles). For most beers, 115g of sugar will do the job.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!
CRZ

Post #3 by CRZ » 1 year ago

This ^^^^^
The only thing I can add is carbonation is temperature dependent. You can use this link below to adjust psi to keg temperature.
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post #4 by brhenrio » 1 year ago

Just remember if you do prime the keg with sugar it needs to sit at room temp for conditioning just like bottles. Similar amount of time as well.
In the fermentor: Skidmark Sour Brown Ale
Vienna Märzen
Tap 1: cream soda
Tap 2: Kolsch
Tap 3: Lil' Runt Mild
hawkbox

Post #5 by hawkbox » 1 year ago

Ok so if I put it in the kegerator for a week at 12 psi I don't need to prime it with sugar? I'm not emotionally attached to either option, I just want to make sure I'm not going to wreck a batch on myself.

The graph makes sense to a degree, I just want to make sure I'm clear on the particulars.
CRZ

Post #6 by CRZ » 1 year ago

As long as you hook the keg up to co2 and force carb it there is no need to add sugar to prime. You can also filter all the yeast out as it's not needed anymore if you wanted to. But at fridge temp and 12psi a week will be good. Depending on your tap hose length you can just leave it at 12psi and serve the beer also.

The only time you need to add sugar to prime is when you need the yeast and sugar to ferment a bit to produce the co2. You cannot filter the yeast out doing this method as it's needed to eat the priming sugar.
hawkbox

Post #7 by hawkbox » 1 year ago

Ok that makes sense. I kind of figured that was the case but I couldn't find anything definitive one way or the other.
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post #8 by SmokeyMcB » 1 year ago

Make sure to purge the keg of air a few times if you are gonna force carbonate. Do this by letting co2 in and pulling the pressure relief valve 4-6 times before setting it away to carb up....
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!
hawkbox

Post #9 by hawkbox » 1 year ago

That's good information. I'm thinking of having a few kegs queued up so in that case it would probably make more sense to prime with sugar?
Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post #10 by Warthaug » 1 year ago

I manage multiple kegs by force-carbing everything, then removing the kegs from the kegorator and placing them in my pantry; this way everything is car'd without any sediment. Kegs should hold the carbonation for several months.

Or you can carb with sugar - its upto you; both work.
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Return to “Bottling & Kegging”