CO2 leak

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Re: CO2 leak

Post #11 by bellybuster » 2 years ago

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:The spring may need to be reduced if the disconnect spring can not over power the poppet spring. This can be due to tensile strength or compression space. This is more of a mechanical tweak and not a product issue. Kind of like how windshield wipers have multiple brackets in the pack.

exactly, I wasn't telling a fib kids
jamatron

Post #12 by jamatron » 2 years ago

"The spring may need to be reduced if the disconnect spring can not over power the poppet spring."
If this was the case you would never be able to lock your Quick-disconnect onto the post and if that is what you are experiencing, fine. But if that connector is locked onto the post your poppet is depressed at the very least 1/8".
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys
bellybuster

Post #13 by bellybuster » 2 years ago

OK you win, it never happened....... really??
OntarioBeerkegs

Post #14 by OntarioBeerkegs » 2 years ago

:(
Not trying to pull a fast one. And I am not smart enough to explain it in more detail. Easily 5% of the time poppets will need to have the spring cut because the poppet and or the disconnect when fully engaged to the keg and not allowing gas or fluids to travel through it. The fix is simple cut a coil off the poppet as shown in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J12B39l0qLM

It will fix it if that is the issue.
Canadian Homebrew Supplies
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER
bellybuster

Post #15 by bellybuster » 2 years ago

yes it does fix it for sure.
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Steam Beer

Post #16 by Reignman » 2 years ago

I have 10 kegs and most of them have that new poppet. No issues yet, but good to know how to fix it if it does come up. Thanks for the info.
jamatron

Post #17 by jamatron » 2 years ago

:cheers: "OK you win, it never happened....... really??"

For the record, i'm not trying to be an opinionated dick here (sorry if its coming off that way). The only thing i can think of as to why we are coming up at odds is that my ball locks are different?( I buy all my kegging stuff from OBK) or that somehow from years of use the pin in your connector has worn away enough that its not long enough to depress the poppet when its in its "full back" position....I've even gone so far as to place a wooden dowel inside a removed post on my table so that it was basically an "undepressable" poppet. And leaned with all my weight on the connector and was not able to lock it onto the post....at any rate, I wasn't saying it didn't happen to you i was just trying to figure out why. I'm a Mech. Eng. Technologist by trade and stuff like is is very interesting to me. Sorry once again if i came off like "I'm right damn it and everyone else is wrong". Lol :cheers:
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys
Kamgator
Favourite Beer: Fat Tug

Post #18 by Kamgator » 2 years ago

sooo, beer turned out excellent :welcome:
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post #19 by Wingeezer » 2 years ago

OBK did suggest clipping the spring on teh universal poppets if too stiff. In fact they had a video about it - not sure if it is still up.

I had a whole bunch of those poppets and did clip teh springs which made the ball locks much easier to engage. However I found one minor problem that sometimes happens.

When you clip the spring, you clip the flat coil at the end of the spring leaving a sharp angled edge to the spring.

With this configuration, It has happened to me a couple of times that the sharp end of the spring has somehow gotten past the flange at the top of the dip tube when installing the post - it then may cut and damage the o ring on the dip tube.

Other than that possibility, I found that clipping the spring solves the problem.

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.
bellybuster

Post #20 by bellybuster » 2 years ago

Kamgator wrote:sooo, beer turned out excellent :welcome:

excellent

Return to “Bottling & Kegging”