CO2 leak

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Kamgator
Favourite Beer: Fat Tug

CO2 leak

Post by Kamgator » 2 years ago

So just kegged a nice English Premium and went to purge my keg and NO CO2! I filled a few bottles yesterday and must have induced a leak when I lowered the pressure. I can't get CO2 until tomorrow AM, will be 14 hrs. or so before I can purge the keg. Is my beer pooched or can I save it?

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Re: CO2 leak

Post by XXXXX » 2 years ago

It should be fine. Refrigerate it if you can otherwise keep it covered. It's certainly not best practice but 14 hours won't hurt it. Or shouldn't :)
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

Kamgator
Favourite Beer: Fat Tug

Post by Kamgator » 2 years ago

XXXXX wrote:It should be fine. Refrigerate it if you can otherwise keep it covered. It's certainly not best practice but 14 hours won't hurt it. Or shouldn't :)
Had it happen once before on a light blonde ale and it was fine so not too worried. If any off flavours due to oxidation showed up I would have thought they would have been obvious in the blonde but none showed. All beer is happily on CO2 once again and I am replacing a faulty poppet valve that was responsible for the leak. I will report back on beer quality once carbonated.

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 2 years ago

I lost 20 pounds of CO2 once, I then bought actual CO2 line and haven't had a leak since.
Just watch those replacement poppets, some of them have a really strong spring and won't allow pressure through. If you get one of those just clip the spring a tiny bit.

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat » 2 years ago

bellybuster wrote:Just watch those replacement poppets, some of them have a really strong spring and won't allow pressure through. If you get one of those just clip the spring a tiny bit.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. If you're talking about ball-lock connectors, the quick-disconnect fitting (the one that clamps to the gas or beverage line) has a pin in it that pushes the poppet down, allowing the liquid/gas to flow through. It doesn't just rely on pressure. If it did, then when you dropped the pressure to, say, bottle some beer off of the keg, the poppet wouldn't allow fresh CO2 to flow in. The posts and fittings are designed so that when the (spring loaded) pin in the quick disconnect is fully depressed, it still protrudes enough to press in the poppet on the post.

jamatron

Post by jamatron » 2 years ago

Kombat is 100% correct, pressure has little effect on the poppet spring. If your valve is wide open it may depress it a hair more(probally not) but as long as ball lock connector is fully seated( locked onto the post) the poppet has to be depressed no matter what the strength of the spring is.
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys

bellybuster

Post by bellybuster » 2 years ago

speaking from experience here folks, the universal poppets sometimes have too long a spring and it makes the ball lock connect very hard to get on and doesn't fully open. Maybe Patrick from OBK will chime in, there are a few posts regarding this on other forums and pretty sure he was the one suggested trimming the spring.

jamatron

I agree that a stiffer or longer spring can make the connector harder to lock onto the post, but once it is locked on, the poppet has to be open. I only have 12 kegs, but all of them have the universal poppets. If the spring was so strong or long to prevent the poppet from being depressed the only way a connector could lock onto the post is if the pin inside the connector broke off.
-Flying Monkeys

jamatron

Ok so i'm really bored today i guess here are some pics to illustrate what i'm saying
20160517_091004_resized.jpg
20160517_091042_resized.jpg
20160517_091055_resized.jpg
20160517_091156_resized.jpg
You can see the basic ball lock setup, in the 1st pic the line on the sharpie was marked when it was shoved all the way up inside the post in pic 2,until it was flush with the end of the poppet hole in pic 3( its like the sharpie was made for this test lol)
In pic 4 i connected the post to the connector and pushed the sharpie up as far as the pin in the connector would let me with about 100X more force than any poppet spring would have ( because i am powerful obviously :rolleyes: ) and then i marked the line. the distance is approx 1/8" or 0.122" short of the first line. That means that without a shadow of a doubt that when the balllock is locked onto the post it has to depress the poppet open 1/8" and even more so of the spring is not as strong as me, which is more than enough for gas or beer to flow around. :cheers:
-Flying Monkeys

OntarioBeerkegs

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » 2 years ago

Look at your disconnect and poppet like this:

For the gas side it does not matter how much compression the poppet gets as long as it depresses. Two springs are at work fighting for compression space in a fixed axis. Gas will reach an equilibrium as long as it has a path to get in faster than displacement of the volume being removed from the vessel. It does not matter which side wins, as long as both give in a bit.

The beverage side is a bit trickier. Not enough compression will cause turbulence and knock co2 out of suspension. Or a total blockage of beverage flowing. The viscosity of beer is much higher than co2. Ideally the spring will depress > 3/16" ID, so your beverage line is the greatest restriction variable (and a known value). A smaller bottleneck in your system will likely cause pouring issues. (Foam,flatness,pressure washer etc)

Universal poppets work on any keg that does not have nylon inserts. They do have a caveat. The spring may need to be reduced if the disconnect spring can not over power the poppet spring. This can be due to tensile strength or compression space. This is more of a mechanical tweak and not a product issue. Kind of like how windshield wipers have multiple brackets in the pack.

We made a video last year just to address this. Please feel free to waste 62 seconds of your time watching it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J12B39l0qLM
Canadian Homebrew Supplies
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER