Pulpy Blockage

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Pulpy Blockage

Post #1 by jamatron » 2 years ago

The wife doesn't drink, so i try to always keep one keg carbed with juice, lemon/lime water, or some other non alcoholic drink. Recently i tried to do a pink grapefruit perrier. Until now i've always used concentrate juice, pure lemon/lime juice or even juice crystals and just diluted with water. This time i peeled 8 ruby red grapefruits and removed every single bit of membrane( the sides and back of the wedges) to get rid of the bitterness so i was just left with the juice "pockets". I put them in a big bowl mixed in some water and used my hand blender to make a froth, poured that into the keg and filled with water. I waited 2 weeks ( for some strange reason i find water takes way longer to carb) and after 2 pours my tap was completely stopped. The pulp not only clogged the poppet spring in the keg post, but the spring in the quick connect as well. Workaround was to remove the poppet and spring from the post and the guts of the quick connect. Just have to remember to relieve the pressure before i change it out! :rolleyes: My first pour after that was a sparkling pulpy delight!
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Re: Pulpy Blockage

Post #2 by Venari » 2 years ago

That reminds me, whatever happened to Clearly Canadian? I haven't seen one of those drinks in about 20 years!

I can't imagine using valuable space in a kegging system for carbonated juice. Your wife must be lucky to have real estate in your setup!
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?
jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Post #3 by jamatron » 2 years ago

Venari wrote:I can't imagine using valuable space in a kegging system for carbonated juice. Your wife must be lucky to have real estate in your setup!

Well the keezer holds 6 kegs so the odds are still in my favor. Also she did have to put up with me yelling from the downstairs for her to grab this and hold that quite a bit so i think i owe her a keg. :cheers:
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys
Bodhi

Post #4 by Bodhi » 2 years ago

Your bedroom is downstairs? :rolleyes:

Return to “Bottling & Kegging”