CO2 flushing of kegs.

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Re: CO2 flushing of kegs.

Post by Wingeezer »

bellybuster wrote:
Diceman wrote: Think about it .. co2 is heavier than oxygen .
this is kind of a fallacy. Sort of. CO2 in the presence of O2 or plain old air in our case for the most part will readily mix and pretty much instantaneously. The CO2 is not "pushing out the air" it is diluting it. By purging the air space we are diluting the air with CO2 hopefully to the point where it doesn't matter.

This also comes into play with the magical "layer" of protective CO2 in a fermenter. Not really the case. Unless there was no air in the first place there will always be some. The second a fermenter is opened the air will mix with the CO2. it is hoped that the dilution will remain below worrisome levels.

Well, I guess that answers the question I posed when I started this thread - ie, what is the point in filling a keg with H20 and then driving it out with CO2 pressure before filling the keg from the bottom with beer.

I suppose that would be the surest way to ensure that the presence of air in a keg is at its absolute minimum. But I still wonder if the potential improvement really means anything in a practical sense - or is it just a bit more work that is of little consequence?

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster »

I believe it is of little benefit if any at all to fill with water first.
The standard purging that most of us do is more than enough to dilute the O2 down to a level that will have nil effect on the beer. Been doing it that way for years with no issue

interior_mike
Favourite Beer: mine

Post by interior_mike »

I agree with what he said^ sounds like a great way to burn through C02 tanks for little gain plus unless you have a way of filling a sealed keg as soon as you crack a keg open to fill, the air will start mixing which isnt a big deal to start with as there isnt much head space on a full keg when youre done filling

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster »

it all comes down to the common beliefs on most other forums. Allot believe that if you don't have lab grade sanitation, you can't make good beer. Just not true. many other myths out there too that allot of us follow for years before we just decide to not worry so much about it. That was the point where I really started enjoying my beers instead of worrying about them.
Hell.... I've brewed without washing my hands