A complicated bottling question

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
BigSound
Favourite Beer: Twice as Mad Tom

A complicated bottling question

Post by BigSound »

Hi all,

I brewed a 5 gal batch of a california common in June. Yes, June. Life has been busy.

I'd like to bottle it and see how it turns out.

Unfortunately, I can't just add some priming sugar or honey (which is my preference) as all the yeast has fallen out of suspension and is now dormant.

I'll have to add some fresh yeast as well as the priming sugar when I bottle. The question is: How much yeast do I pitch?

Anybody have any experience with this? The beer has been sitting under temperature control in a carboy with an airlock the whole time. What are the chances that its still good?
On Deck: Mild, IPA
Fermenting: California Common
Bottled: Pale Ale, Hopped Cider

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Re: A complicated bottling question

Post by Goulaigan »

Im sure the beer will be just fine. You could probably just transfer it to a bottling bucket and prime as usual. I think you will inevitably stir up some yeast in the transfer to a bottling vessel. As far as pitching more, I don't really know how much honestly, but I think it would be a small fraction of what you would normally pitch in a batch...

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug »

Even clear beer can has a few hundred thousand to a few million cells per ml , so carbonation should not be an issue. Until beer is a year old (or is of very high gravity) additional yeast is generally not required.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster »

Just for interest, I left a carboy of stout under the stairs, life got busy and I forgot it. 1 year later I find this gem and bottle'r up with priming sugar. 3 weeks later I had the best stout I ever made. Still today I haven't matched it and that was 15 years ago

BigSound
Favourite Beer: Twice as Mad Tom

Post by BigSound »

Thanks for your help! Hopefully I'll get to it next week. I'll prime it up and bottle it without pitching any additional yeast. Hoping it turns out well!
On Deck: Mild, IPA
Fermenting: California Common
Bottled: Pale Ale, Hopped Cider