Ball lock connector issues

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Re: Ball lock connector issues

Post by Reignman »

I haven't had any issues with universal poppets yet. I have read that lots of brewers don't like them.

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post by Wingeezer »

Ok, I emailed OBK and they kindly gave me a few things to check.

Last night (pint in hand) I got out four empty kegs and a couple of gas and a couple of beer spare connectors and tried to methodically go through the kegs and see if I could narrow down the problem as I was not sure if it was one particular keg, one connecter causing the problem or what.

Going through this exercise, out of the 8 posts I checked, I found three posts on which it was next to impossible to put a connector on without a hammer! Two were gas and one was beer.

When I removed the posts, I found that the three posts that were problematic all had the "Universal poppets" installed. In each case, I tried cutting one coil off the bottom of the spring to lessen the spring force and they then seemed to work fine, so it looks like that was my problem all along.

Incidentally, I find that I have two types of universal poppets. Some have a rather light gauge wire in the spring and they work fine, the poppets that were causing problems and need to have the spring shortened are a much heavier gauge spring wire.

Hopefully problem solved - although these kegs are all empty - hopefully cutting the springs back won't cause some other problem when I come to use the kegs now!

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by jamatron »

I'd say your problem is stuck balls, i used to have the same problem even after i started using keg lube. now whenever i change out a keg i have a glass of hot water close and dunk the connector in it a few times before i store it/attach to new keg. Haven't had a stuck connector since i started doing this. :cheers:
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post by Wingeezer »

jamatron wrote:I'd say your problem is stuck balls, i used to have the same problem even after i started using keg lube. now whenever i change out a keg i have a glass of hot water close and dunk the connector in it a few times before i store it/attach to new keg. Haven't had a stuck connector since i started doing this. :cheers:

At one point I too thought that might have been my problem.

But every time I had problems getting a connector back on, one of the things that I checked was to pull back the ring to ensure they were all freeto move - and they were.

I'm pretty sure that in my case my problems have been caused by overly heavy duty springs.

Out of 6 kegs that I have now checked I had at least one post on 4 of the kegs that exhibited the problem and each had an uncut universal poppet spring in place. A couple of minute's work per keg with a dremel cut-off wheel to shorten the spring by one coil and the connectors now go on fine in every case.

I'm sure that doing what you suggest could help in some instances though and I will probably start doing that as well.

I would think that having the connector balls stick would be mainly on the beer line side - I have been having as many problems problems with the gas side connectors as with the beer side.

I do always put a smear of keg lube on each post whenever I put a fresh keg on tap. Although there was an earlier message on this thread that suggested it could cause the O rings to swell and cause problems.

Because of that message, (before I discovered the spring problem) on one keg that was tough to connect, I tried putting on
new O-rings to see if that might solve the problem but it made no difference - the spring was again the issue.

Seems as though there are a few potential causes of connection problems. For now I am "Cautiously optimistic" that mine have been fixed.

I just have one more keg to check out and my son in law has that one in Newmarket at present!

If I recall correctly he had trouble hooking it up and phoned me and I advised him to tap it on with a wooden block - he did.

I guess I can expect another call when he tries to get it off again when the keg is empty!

Brian.
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster »

jamatron wrote:I'd say your problem is stuck balls, i used to have the same problem even after i started using keg lube. :
Hahaha.

Glad to see you got it sorted, I assume my tight ones are universal puppets as well