CO2 Quality

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Windsorbrew
Favourite Beer: All Sorts

CO2 Quality

Post by Windsorbrew »

Trying to get a straight answer on the CO2 quality topic. I work in the tooling industry and we use CO2 to fill our gas shocks. Seeing as the fire equipment store has terrible business hours that are nearly impossible for me to hit can I just use the CO2 that I have at work to fill my 5lb tank?

I keep reading mixed opinions on the subject:

A) There is no difference, gas is gas

B)CO2 sold at fire extinguisher shops have been filtered to remove any possible contaminates (by law)

C) Need to use food grade CO2 or risk off tastes, smells as well as possible contaminates such as oil, powder.

We get our gas at work from Praxair (and I do enjoy free refills!!). Any suggestions or have any of you had any issues using regular "welding grade" CO2.

Cheers
"You can't win em all, but you can drink em all"

On Tap
1) La Raison de "Saison"
2) Black Lagers Matter (black lager)
3) Uncle Dunkel

Kegged and Charging
1) Marzen
2) Starsan...
3) Starsan...

In Primary
1) Cider
2) Cider
3) Cider

In Secondary
1) It's Porter to 11 Vanilla Porter
2) Starsan
3) Starsan

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Re: CO2 Quality

Post by ruf1 »

Theres lots of controversy on the quality of co2 from dif suppliers,i used to get bev grade gas at a supplier and the cost was more than fire supply shop that i use now.

When i asked the fire supply shop about the co2 they sell his response was- its good enough for pet supply stores to use for aquarium fish so it shouldnt hurt you at all.

I googled co2 quality a few years ago and there is some thoughts that bev gas is more refined and filtered of any contaminates,sulphur and oils being a couple of things of concern.

google carbon dioxide qualities and read the whole shebang.

I find no dif in the gas that currently buy from fire supply outlet,no off tastes that i can detect.

My 20 lb refills now cost 31.00 where i used to pay 48.00 for bev grade co2

good luck.....search the forum......theres some threads on here that you may find.

:cheers:

Dave
Favourite Beer: mine

Post by Dave »

Gas is gas. What may be different, is the care taken in the filling area, and "sanitation" of fittings, etc.

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

Gas is gas but it's the mixture of gasses that counts. Bev grade co2 is nearly 95% pure. Technical co2 can go as low as 80% depending what it's for... just to complicate things. The purest co2 you get from the yeast.. ;)

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman »

The guy at the TSC store told me that their C02 is for pigs.

OntarioBeerkegs

Post by OntarioBeerkegs »

Food and beverage grade costs a premium.

Places that I have seen a Food or beverage grade (different product skews) fill fire extinguishers from the same tank.

Here is the MSDS for Beverage Grade:
http://www.praxair.ca/~/media/North%20A ... 0E4574.pdf

Here is the MSDS for Food grade:

Here is the MSDS for paintball and fire extinguishers:

And the source:
http://www.praxair.ca/en/gases/buy-liqu ... ioxide-gas

The MSDS information is not only the same for all three products. It is the exact same document.

The difference is the concentration ranges from 99.5% - 99.9%

Our company professionally packages food items with nitrogen. We do have a nitrogen generator that scrubs the co2 out of thin air. We can set the purity of the co2 between 90% - 99.9%. The difference is just an additional cycle of scrubbing the co2. Those impurities between 99.5% and 99.9% is wait for it....

Air.
Canadian Homebrew Supplies
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER

Windsorbrew
Favourite Beer: All Sorts

Post by Windsorbrew »

Does anyone think that filling my tank at work is worth the risk, CO2 is supplied by Praxair.
"You can't win em all, but you can drink em all"

On Tap
1) La Raison de "Saison"
2) Black Lagers Matter (black lager)
3) Uncle Dunkel

Kegged and Charging
1) Marzen
2) Starsan...
3) Starsan...

In Primary
1) Cider
2) Cider
3) Cider

In Secondary
1) It's Porter to 11 Vanilla Porter
2) Starsan
3) Starsan

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster »

I used to work on fighter jets so part of my initial training was visiting Praxair to see how liquid oxygen, CO2 and nitrogen were made. Aviators breathing oxygen has to be moisture free. As part of the liquefaction process all oxygen manufactured meets the requirements of aviators breathing oxygen (the highest grade available). The difference in the grades is how it is sold. The gas is the same all around.
Welding oxygen is the same as medical is the same as aviators. The label is in the testing. Welding O2 is sold without any testing. Medical is sold with testing for aromatics and oils, moisture is added while being administered. Aviators is tested for aromatics and moisture. The original O2 will pass all the tests and is the same gas from the same tank for all testing levels.
CO2 is the same, they only make 1 grade of CO2. it is capable of being any form. Industrial, food grade etc etc etc. Its all in the testing. The only time you'll ever see additives like oils added is in the mini CO2 cylinders. This is added to the cylinder, the original gas is pure.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

:laugh: I didn't know Canada had fighter jets! :laugh:

Very informative guys. Thx

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive »

Well this is another proof that you never stop learning. Thanks for teaching me something new today! :)