Bottle conditioned vs Kegged re:Quality

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
onmyword
Favourite Beer: APA

Bottle conditioned vs Kegged re:Quality

Post by onmyword »

Has anyone with both setups done a quality test with the same beer to see if either the kegged or bottled versions are significantly better than the other? ( maybe once the beer reaches 6 weeks or so weeks post primary )

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Bottle conditioned vs Kegged re:Quality

Post by Doc_Drive »

Great question!

I do both... My feedback would be that the bottles are a bit more consistent between bottles. With the keg - unless you have a way to filter under pressure - you always have a little bit more sediment in the pours up to a third of the keg, then it starts clearing up... I know people have shortened their diptube but I havent done that quite yet...

onmyword

Post by onmyword »

Thanks Doc_Drive.

What about taste and aromatic differences?

I'm wondering if the in-bottle ferementation and/or the 3 week room temp condition time would deteriorate the quality somewhat

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster »

I dont experience the sediment in my kegs at all although I cold crash most of my beers prior to kegging. If there's any sediment its in the first half beer poured. My dip tubes are not cut

As far as quality... kegging wins hands down, especially if doing extracts. Priming bottles with sugar adds a taste that screams "home-brew". allowing fermentation to carb your beers by bottling prior to the last few points avoids this but it's hit and miss. Non brewers do not like a sediment layer in the bottom of a bottle.
I find the carbonation is different as well, much more predictable.
I will never ever go back to sugar priming bottles

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster »

regardless, bottling or kegging. Most beers do well with more time (except those meant to be drunk young) Get yourself 2 or 3 batches ahead so your beer can age a bit..... it won't go bad. That home brew flavour is most noticeable when the beer is green (not colour)

onmyword

Post by onmyword »

bellybuster wrote:regardless, bottling or kegging. Most beers do well with more time
I've noticed mine hit their stride at around 7 weeks. how about yourself?

I do: 3wks primary, 3wks bottle condition + around a week in the fridge.

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH »

bellybuster wrote:I dont experience the sediment in my kegs at all although I cold crash most of my beers prior to kegging. If there's any sediment its in the first half beer poured. My dip tubes are not cut

As far as quality... kegging wins hands down, especially if doing extracts. Priming bottles with sugar adds a taste that screams "home-brew". allowing fermentation to carb your beers by bottling prior to the last few points avoids this but it's hit and miss. Non brewers do not like a sediment layer in the bottom of a bottle.
I find the carbonation is different as well, much more predictable.
I will never ever go back to sugar priming bottles
I would have to disagree with that. I primarily make extracts and do the bottle thing, my beer definitely doesn't scream "home brew". I did an Oktoberfest last year than many preferred to some commercially available versions. Definitely didn't taste like home brew!

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro »

Think you would need some pretty sensitive taste buds to pick up 3/4 cup or less fermented corn sugar in 5 gallons of beer, I sure cant tell
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post by Mr_Tastyfish »

oro wrote:Think you would need some pretty sensitive taste buds to pick up 3/4 cup or less fermented corn sugar in 5 gallons of beer, I sure cant tell
I agree, especially for beer styles that are already using adjunct sugars. Unless you're priming your batch with something less fermentable like brown sugar or maple syrup, there shouldn't be any noticeable taste left behind.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman »

I bottle condition beers all the time, usually when I run out of keg space. 3-4 weeks after bottling it is beer. I find the best time is 6 weeks in the bottle. This time of year is a good time to bottle condition beer as I can put them anywhere to carb up.