standard bottle question

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Mot

standard bottle question

Post by Mot » 4 years ago

are screw tops capble with a hand cappper( the "wine" opener looking type) or basicly cap i recap bottles from most labels? thanks for answering what is probably a dumb question

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Re: standard bottle question

Post by oro » 4 years ago

It runs a higher risk of breakage of the neck but can be done I do believe. I have done it in the past and recall someone saying they do it. The bench cappers are the best and may be able to find one used for cheap. Best thing is to try it out
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Mot

what about steam whistle bottles

Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing » 4 years ago

Its best to stay away from screw top bottles if possible, even if you manage to cap them they tend not to seal very well. When I first started out I simply went to the LBS Depot and offered to buy flip top bottles off of people (or post an add on a local online classified). Soaked them in a diluted bleach solution and scrubbed them with a bottle brush, then rinsed thoroughly. After that when I purchased some beer I would keep the bottle for reuse until I had a healthy collection. Hope this helps. Cheers
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

I've never used regular screw top bottles but I have drank tonnes of HB's bottled in them. I'm origionally from NFLD and I can assure you that no one was buying fancy beer bottles to bottle their HB's back in the day. I think a bench capper is the way to go about capping them though. I've had my old butterfly capper rip the necks off of pry top bottles before so I don't really trust the butterfly capppers anymore.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Mr_Tastyfish
Favourite Beer: Homebrewed beer

Post by Mr_Tastyfish » 4 years ago

I have succesfully capped screw-top bottles with my hand capper. Some didn't seal quite right, but the majority turned out just fine. I actually found it much easier than using the bench capper that I was loaned for my first batch. I did quickly replace those with better pop-top bottles quite quickly though. It sucks to put all of the work into a beer you've waited onfor a month or more to enjoy, only to twist off a cap and be robbed of that orgasmic release of pressure (oops, geeting graphic with the beer fizz again, sorry).

Mot

What's evryone's opinion on colour is green ok?

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Post by Reignman » 4 years ago

I have 7 cases of Steam Whistle and have no problems with skunking. I always use a koozie though when outdoors.

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

I go as far as to bottle some in clear bottles!! I'm a big boy, I can manage to keep them outta the light lol.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!