Keg pressure questions

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Keg pressure questions

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

This forum doesn't have a sticky post (at least in this sub forum) about pressure math, so I figured I'd post a few questions here to augment my Google searches.

Keep in mind these are geared more towards room temp beer.

1. What kind of beers are good served warm?
2. Will warm beer give me mostly foam out of the tap?
3. Does the pressure out of the CO2 change according to my beer line length, or am I supposed to have specific lengths of hose for the pressure I want?
4. For warm beer, should I order hoses with a larger inside diameter?
5. Is it possible to keep kegs outside in the cold and then hook it up to warm beer lines when I want a drink?

The reason for the room temperatures is because of my power bills. They've been just under a thousand dollars (Nunavut rates are expensive), so I don't feel justified in hooking up a fridge or freezer just to have cold beer. Those compressors can consume a lot of juice. I do have a back porch I can use in the spring/winter/fall to get the beers cold, then bring them in and hook them up to the lines, but I don't want to run the risk of freezing the beer accidentally.

6. Is there a thermostat that can run from INSIDE the keg to outside the keg so I can see the internal temperature without exposing the beer to outside air, or de-pressurizing the keg?
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Re: Keg pressure questions

Post by ruf1 » 4 years ago

On question # 1 IMHO-no beers are good warm,i cant stand warm beer.
#2 beer foams considerably when warm.
# 3 generally you need about 6 feet of beer line when using pressure between 6-12 psi,line lengths vary as per pressure used.
# 4 That i am not sure?
# 5 Sure,just dont let them freeze.
# 6 the keg will be the same temp as the ambient temp outside.- or inside.
?? Do you have an enclosed porch thats insulated really well ? you could keep beer kegs there with just a small heater on a timer to keep the beer from freezing .
There are pressure calcs and temp calcs online that will give you a good idea of what pressures to set your regulator at for the temp your beer is at.

SeanGodd
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist

Post by SeanGodd » 4 years ago

Here this should help.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_nmpQE ... E5ZmM/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_nmpQE ... E5ZmM/edit

That should answer all you questions.
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

SeanGodd

Sorry, this is supposed to be the second link

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

Thanks for that second link, Sean. Certainly helps with figuring out a pressure. How long is force carbonation? 24 hours?

That first link, however, doesn't seem to lead me anywhere.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive » 4 years ago

You can accelerate your carbonation. Attach the CO2 tank, pressurize and then shake the crap out of the chilled keg. more surface area (small bubbles and waves from the shaking) equals faster CO2 input into your beer. Pressurize, disconnect, shake, repeat. Repeat until you don't hear the pressure equalizing anymore when you attach the gas...

SeanGodd

Venari wrote:Thanks for that second link, Sean. Certainly helps with figuring out a pressure. How long is force carbonation? 24 hours?

That first link, however, doesn't seem to lead me anywhere.
Page 3-4 of the first link I posted explains the different methods of carbing you beer. I choose to use the "set it and forget it" cause then there is no way of overcarbing your beer. With the shake/rocking method you have a chance of overcarbing.
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.