Been Gushin'

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Been Gushin'

Post by Doc_Drive » 4 years ago

I've found that the most common cause of off-flavours and gushing is the tubing... Try and replace the tubing from your racking/bottling equipment. Is it in anyway discolored or funky looking?

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

I had left it in the santizer for too long (overnight) and now the formerly clear hose is cloudy. Running water through it for extended periods didn't wash the cloudiness away.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive » 4 years ago

try replacing the tubing if you can. if youre confident about your cleaning regime, this would be the first place I'd start the troubleshooting... I've been burnt by that before...

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

I was wondering how effective One-Step is too after reading your thread, thought I remembered reading some conflicitng opinions on it before, then I found this thread: ' http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/one-ste ... zer-23791/ ' and still I am wondering... Too bad you are so remote, or I would probly suggest switching to star san...

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

and another...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitiz ... ion-54932/

Venari

yeah, i had chosen OneStep because of the ratio between weight/shipping/how long it'd last.

I may have to eat the extra costs of StarSan in the future.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Post by Reignman » 4 years ago

You can get a 4 oz bottle of star san. It lasts me over 2 years.

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro » 4 years ago

Reignman wrote:You can get a 4 oz bottle of star san. It lasts me over 2 years.

Mine too, I mix it in a spray bottle and use it that way, spray it into tubes, equipment, and only dump it out to soak caps and the bottle washer so a mixed liter goes a long way and never have an issue with infections
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 » 4 years ago

I have a product from fivestar thats called saniclean,works like starsan but foams a lot less,no probs with infections. :cheers:

Venari

I had tried a bottle of the wheat beer today, and found it sour. It looks like the gushing is confirmed to be a result of infection.

I was going to mix up another 15 gallons (5 of stout, and 10 of cooper's lager) to replace all this, but I developed an infection in my tonsils which left me feverish. I didn't want to have that stuff growing in the wort, so I didn't make anything.

Now I have a question about cleaning the spouts on these Ale Pails. They are removable and they do come apart, and I do clean them out and drop them into the santizer. However I'm wondering if I should simply pour boiling water onto them, but I'm not sure if heating the plastic will degrade it somehow.

I will order replacement tubing and a sample of StarSan, and I think I'll start using the glass carbouys to ferment in, instead of the plastic buckets.