Been Gushin'

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Been Gushin'

Post by Doc_Drive » 4 years ago

beer doesn't grow pathogens (at least not bacterial ones) - the low pH and the hops are quite effective surpressants...

As for your spigot, I'd take them apart and scrub them in warm soapy water, rinse them and then soak them in sanitizer. That should be sufficient...

I've been using fermentation buckets (the white-ish plastic ones), they're easy to clean (paper towel only so they don't scratch - don't want scratches!)

Hope that helps.

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

I've looked into One-Step a bit, and the best I could find (as of 2008) was that while One-step isn't legally classified as a sanitiser, (apparently the manufacturer doesn't want to pay for the paperwork), they claim it performs the same job.

I think I'll try switching to star-san after all. I'll just have to find a heavy duty spray bottle so I can keep it stored for a while (and perhaps buy some pH testing strips).
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro » 4 years ago

I just use a cheap dollar store spray bottle, use distilled water with starsan if it goes cloudy replace it with new mix
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Doc_Drive

I might be wrong, but wasn't the general recommendation NOT to use distilled water? There was something about a certain degree of water hardness needed...

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

Sadly nobody's willing to ship StarSan to Nunavut, as only air mail / cargo comes up this way, and it seems sellers are only able to ship this stuff via ground.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro » 4 years ago

Doc_Drive wrote:I might be wrong, but wasn't the general recommendation NOT to use distilled water? There was something about a certain degree of water hardness needed...
I tried my tap water once, its fairly hard water and it clouded up within minutes
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

My tap water (well water) clouds starsan instantly as well. I use it anyway, I have tested PH and it is well within their guidelines on where it should be even when cloudy (although I don't remember the numbers anymore), even after several weeks. I usually don't keep it more than a month tho, but cloudiness doesn't always mean its no good anymore...

SeanGodd
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist

Post by SeanGodd » 4 years ago

Doc_Drive wrote:I might be wrong, but wasn't the general recommendation NOT to use distilled water? There was something about a certain degree of water hardness needed...
hmmm...Do you have a link or any info to back this up? This seems to go against everything I have read on the interwebs. Seem the hardness breaks down the Starsan over time. Plus with everyone using Distilled water and no one talking about infections I'm sure its working great. I make mine with RO water and batches last me 5+ batches. It is always clear. the only thing I find is that it doesn't foam as much with the RO water mixture. But I've never had an infection and I use the bare minimun starsam each batch. sometime I only use 1l per brew. more when I'm keggin.
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

Doc_Drive

I think my contact at the LHBS told me that, I might be totally off though...