Been Gushin'

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Been Gushin'

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

Lately, a lot of the beer I've been making has been gushing when I open the bottles. I've used Northern Brewer's priming calculator, and Brewer's Friend calculator, and both have yielded over-carbed beer.

Of the last three batches, only the British Bitters (according to the calculator, 1.5 volumes, barely fizzed when opened bottle) didn't gush. The other beers (australian ale, wheat beer, both 2.0 volumes) have gushed. The last three batches prior have also gushed.

All equipment has been sanitized, the scales calibrated. I am thinking of going back to the time consuming individual bottle priming.

Any suggestions, or ideas, as to why I keep having bottles that are over carbonated?
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Been Gushin'

Post by Doc_Drive » 4 years ago

It might not be overcarbonating... I carb my wheat ales with 3.2 volumes and haven't gotten a gusher yet.
Gushing could have a few reasons... Contamination is one, carbonation nuclei another one. Are you shure your bottles are clean and there's no dust or anything in it? How are you dissolving the priming sugar? Are you sure your fermentation is completed before bottling?

Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing » 4 years ago

Doc_Drive wrote:It might not be overcarbonating... I carb my wheat ales with 3.2 volumes and haven't gotten a gusher yet.
Gushing could have a few reasons... Contamination is one, carbonation nuclei another one. Are you shure your bottles are clean and there's no dust or anything in it? How are you dissolving the priming sugar? Are you sure your fermentation is completed before bottling?
I would agree here. What method/chems have you been using for sanitizing?
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

Venari

I use a powered OneStep for my sanitizing. As per instructions, 1 tbsp of the powder per gallon of water, and sanitizes on contact, no rinse required.

I've been dissolving the priming sugar into a small pot of boiling water, and then cooling the water in the back porch, which is exposed to the -35C outdoor ambient temperature.

Prior to placing the beer into the bottles, the bottles are submerged in the OneStep solution, swirled around for a bit, poured out.

On this particular bottling day, all three batches of beer had been in primary for two weeks before being bottled.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro » 4 years ago

How much and what sugar have you been using to prime? For 5 gallons at 2.6 co2 I find its usually close to 3/4 cup of corn sugar
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Venari

Too late to edit previous post: I meant to say POWDERED OneStep, not Powered.

I've been using a scale to measure my sugars by weight.

I can't find the paper I had written the required weights on. Let me go to the Northern Brewer calculator to get the numbers I used for a 20C batch of 5 gallon beer:

Wanting to try my hand at beers with brown sugar (in retrospect, yuck!)

British bitters, 1.5 volumes: 53g of brown sugar
Australian Ale, 2.3 volumes: 115g of brown sugar
Wheat Beer (chose witbier from the drop down menu), 3.0 volumes: 170g of brown sugar

EDIT: It occurs to me that this particular calculator might be using american gallons. That being said, the Ale Pails I have are showing the 5 gallon mark on the 19L mark, so I doubt this is an issue.

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

Ya I have to agree with the others here, I've used the Northern Brewer Calculator for at least my last 10 batches, wheat beers, pales, saisons, from 2.5 vols up to 3.5, and never had a gusher unless the bottle got shaken on the way in from the shed fridge. I have used twice as much sugar as your batches in many cases. What was your final gravity on the batches that were gushers?

Venari

Goulaigan wrote:What was your final gravity on the batches that were gushers?
This may be where the problem is. After making many batches from Cooper's LME, I've stopped taking hydrometer readings because they were always within the parameters set out in the instructions that come with the can.

I have three more cans of LME, and will take hydrometer readings when I mix those up tomorrow.

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

Take readings before and after fermentation. Dont bottle untill the FG is within the parameters, AND has stopped dropping for at least 3 days. Give all of your bottling equipment a smell test, hoses, spigot, syphon, bucket, right down to the bottles. I smell every bottle before I sanitize them, since I rinse them right after use I usually just sanitize and reuse them but if they have any hint of odour (beer or otherwise) they get the bottle brush and a good scrubbing before sanitising.

Venari

Goulaigan wrote:Give all of your bottling equipment a smell test,
Unfortunately, due to some high school habits, I have a limited sense of smell.