500 mL beer bottles needed

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

500 mL beer bottles needed

Post by Doc_Drive » 4 years ago

Hello everyone...

I need 500 mL beer bottles and got quite the sticker shock! Buying the bottles for my last batch is about three times the cost for the batch itself! Kegging is out of question for this one due to the style and now I'm trying to source bottles - could either be crown cap or swing top - I don't care about that one.

Ideas anyone - or bottles they don't need? :)

Cheers!

Dee Envy
Favourite Beer: HomeBrew

Re: 500 mL beer bottles needed

Post by Dee Envy » 4 years ago

For a quick solution if I ran out I keep a box of brown plastic beer bottles with caps.
They don't show off your craft very well but if you are drinking it yourself it works in a pinch.
They are 500ml and hold up to 10 vol of co2. Any brew supply have them.
Beer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive » 4 years ago

Yeah, I was looking at the local brew store, but it is 25$ per dozen, with a 20 L batch, I would need 4 dozen which is 100$ just in bottles. They need to be a little bit more presentable as they might be going to investors. I guess I could swallow that cost in light of what's coming down the pipe but I dont really want to and if I can find a cheaper solution that would be all the better...

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 4 years ago

Have you tried any bottle return places? They may sell you back bottles, not sure how much they would charge mind you.

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

Given my remote location, I've taken to purchasing cases of pop bottles from the next town over (my current town doesn't sell bottled pop, only cans).

Could this be an option for you?

I like the Canada Dry bottles. The green colour means less sunlight would get in (not that I keep the brews near a window), but mostly because the long sloped necks are perfect for the sediment removing caps.

Now to actually test to see if the caps are compatible with those bottles...
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Greedy Dragon Brewing
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by Greedy Dragon Brewing » 4 years ago

Save on Foods frequently puts their PET bottles on sale. I usually retain my glass beer bottles and re-use them. Cheers
Come check me out at https://www.youtube.com/user/GreedyDragonBrewing
If you like what you see please like, share, and subscribe. CheerZ

Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

Post by Winger » 4 years ago

When I was in Edmonton I found a couple of bottle depots that would save swing tops for me to purchase. I was paying $.25 for some and $.50 at another. Lots of clean up but that's much cheaper than new bottles.
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.