BOTTLE BOMBS

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Winger
Favourite Beer: BEER

BOTTLE BOMBS

Post by Winger » 4 years ago

I bottled a batch of APA on Dec 21 with 1 2/3 cup sugar in 10 gal. Today I found a mess in the bottom of a crate and a bottle blowing out past the swing top. One bottle had the bottom blown out. I opened the bottle that was leaking past the top and got a gusher. This is my first experience with bottle bombs. I've put the rest of the batch in a cold room, just above freezing, to try to cold crash. I tried a few other bottles and got the same result as the gusher but quickly put the cap back on before they blew out. Is there any hope I can salvage this batch? :facepalm:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Re: BOTTLE BOMBS

Post by ruf1 » 4 years ago

Sorry to hear of your bottle bombs winger,there is nothing you can do to correct this batch,safety is number one so i would wear eye protection when handling them,thick gloves too.

Use a carb calculater when bottling,and measure your sugar by weight not by volume.

Good luck on the next batch.

:cheers: and happy new year. :stirpot:

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

pop 'em all open and have a huge bratwurst beer boil up?
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Winger

I tried another bottle and got a very grassy/lemon flavor, not worth saving so I dumped 32 L. down the drain. :(

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

Ouch, that sucks, sorry for your loss! Although I always measure priming sugar by weight, 1 and 2/3 cups doesn't seem like enough to make 32 litres of bottle bombs. Might want to go through your equipment and check for any possible casues of infection, kettle ball valves seem to be a pretty popular place for nasties to hang out if you have one....

Winger

Goulaigan wrote:Ouch, that sucks, sorry for your loss! Although I always measure priming sugar by weight, 1 and 2/3 cups doesn't seem like enough to make 32 litres of bottle bombs. Might want to go through your equipment and check for any possible casues of infection, kettle ball valves seem to be a pretty popular place for nasties to hang out if you have one....
I agree, and the taste confirmed something was off. :stirpot:

Winger

I found a possible infection in the tap of the fermentation bucket. Gave them a good cleaning and soaked in sanitizer for a few days. :S