Problems with Purging With Beer Gas

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Problems with Purging With Beer Gas

Post by Reignman » 4 years ago

I use beer gas for my bitters and install a ss stone at the bottom of the keg. After I am done, I try to purge it but all I get is foam flying through the lid. How can I purge it without all that foam?

Reignman

Re: Problems with Purging With Beer Gas

Well, a lot of views and no replies. The only thing I have come up with is to keg it and crash cool with gelatin for a few days. Sanitize another keg with the ss stone installed, purge it good and transfer from keg to keg. That way I think I don't have to purge the new keg as I already did it when I sanitized it.

Dave
Favourite Beer: mine

Post by Dave » 4 years ago

Hey Chris, no experience, but, a question.
When using the beer gas mix, isn't it's use only for dispensing?
I'd have thought you would carb to the desired atmospheres with co2 gas,
or sugar, and then dispense with your gas mix.
Dave ♪

Reignman

You may get too much foam if you punch it up with C02. Some people carb it up a little bit with C02, then go with the beer gas. When I racked to a new keg via the out tube, it still came out the in quick disconnet via the ss stone. I guess the stone is so porous it has an easy way to escape. I just opened the lid a bit and finished filling it. This let in air but nothing I can about that. I tried to purge it with a low level of C02 and it did work a bit, then beer foam spewed out.

jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by jamatron » 4 years ago

This is just a guess( as i don't use a carbing stone) but i think what is happening is that in a setup without a stone the co2 doesn't have to pass through the beer to purge, it just goes in passes along the top of the beer and forces the remaining o2 out the open cover/relief valve. In your set up the co2 pressure is being forced up through your beer kind of like putting a straw in there and blowing bubbles, which is why you get the foam. You could try turning off the co2 supply before you purge so there is no "steady" pressure just don't purge too much at once so you lose your seal. Crank the gas back up wait a while and repeat. Hope this helps.
:cheers:
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys

Reignman

Thanks, I'll give it a try next time.