Priming with DME

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Re: Priming with DME

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

Man, that sucks! Does that mean you can't barbecue? I don't think I could survive without my barbee... I guess there's charcoal, no good for brewing tho hah...

Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

One guy in town has a barbeque, but he gets a giant propane tank on the annual sealift, I think. That tank is almost as tall as I am!

I suppose I could ask to hook up to his tank, but considering his wife has a MAJOR addiction issue (she once broke into my place and stole the alcohol), I don't think it's a good idea to brew large quantities of beer around her.

Some people in town use Napthalene gas for their coleman stoves and tiny grills...would one of those provide enough fuel to boil 5 gallons of wort, outdoors in subzero temperatures? Keeping in mind that today is -43, and it's still autumn.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

Post by SmokeyMcB » 4 years ago

go the electric route bro. you must be able to get a water heater element and some basic home electrical gear (wire,plugs,etc). then you can make beer anywhere that you have electricity.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

I would say probably not, would depend on BTU rating I suppose, but a regular naptha coleman stove is probably not gonna do it.

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 4 years ago

They don't fly in propane?

I lived all over northern Canada for about 5 yrs and had no issues getting propane flown in. Granted we went with 100lb tanks. Pretty much everything in the house was propane, fridge, stove, hot water heater, dryer, washer heating element.

Really sucked when someone lets the tank run completely dry and all the pilot lights go out!!!

Venari

no, everything here is run on oil.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

SeanGodd
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist

Post by SeanGodd » 4 years ago

Back on the original question,

Not sure if this was mentions but if you use DME you have the risk of the beer making Krausen in the bottle. This will leave a good ring on the bottle. Not sure if this will affect flavour but just thought I'd mention it. :)
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

Venari

So to go with the krausen-less route...would brown sugar improve the flavour a little for priming?