Can I move from keg to bottles?

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Can I move from keg to bottles?

Post by Venari » 4 years ago

Last september I made 5 gallons of a Honey Pumpkin IPA, and it has since been sitting in a corny keg, waiting for my CO2 to arrive from Ottawa. I had hoped to be drinking it in time for Thanksgiving, but it looks like, if I'm lucky, I can ring in the New Year with it.

I'd like to move it to bottles. Would the yeast still be active enough to carbonate in a bottle?
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Re: Can I move from keg to bottles?

Post by Reignman » 4 years ago

Some people add a small amount of yeast to their bottling bucket along with the priming sugar. You can weigh out a small amount of corn sugar for one bottle to see if it curbs up.

Venari

Would the yeast be highly recommended? Living way up here, I'd have to order it and wait for it to arrive via mail.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive » 4 years ago

Has the keg been sitting cold? If so - the answer is most likely yes. you can always take a little sample of it into a cup, add some sugar, place it somewhere warm and see whether it takes off. if so, you've got active yeast still - they're pretty hardy!

Venari

It's been sitting at room temperature.

I'll stick a small sample into a bottle and see what happens.

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive » 4 years ago

Just use a little glass (you really don't need much sample), shake up you keg take a sample add sugar and wait until you see the bubbles forming in the glass. What yeast did you use for this?

Venari

If i recall, it was US 05