Suitable PET bottles

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Suitable PET bottles

Post by Venari » 5 years ago

I recently purchased some special caps that will remove sediment during secondary fermentation in bottles. They work great, but the shape of the bottles themselves don't really allow for collection of ALL the sediment.

I thought I had found a solution for this when I had purchased some Cooper's PET bottles (about 740 mL, with a long neck design), but the threading on the mouth of the bottle isn't compatible with the caps.

Are there any long neck plastic bottles with the same threading as a regular glass beer bottle?
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Re: Suitable PET bottles

Post by Goulaigan » 5 years ago

Special caps that remove sediment? Do you store the bottles upside down? I find if you leave your beer in the fridge for a month or so, depending on style, the sediment tightens up quite well in the bottom and pretty much stays there unless you really shake it around...

Venari

Yeah, the caps allow the bottles to stand upside down, and once secondary fermentation is complete, you remove the bottom half of the cap. The top half then becomes sealed and you can then go ahead and jostle the bottles around during transport, because the beer will no longer get cloudy. You could also store the bottles on their side while in a fridge, which makes more room for more bottles!

(sedexbrewing.com)

You'll have to order them from australia, which means shipping will be higher. Cleaning and sanitation are also now more tedious than it already was.

I was thinking of using Canada Dry ginger ale bottles. Would it be safe to assume that these bottles would hold up to the pressures of carbonation?
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 5 years ago

Pretty sure my dad used to use green pop bottles when he did the Ubrew thing long ago, canada dry, 7up etc, so I don't see why not. I prefer glass myself...

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 5 years ago

Any soda bottle should be OK for beer (assuming you're not brewing some super-carbd Belgians or sours). Some LHBS's may carry plastic bottles that look more like a regular beer bottle - e.g. they have the long neck. Those would probably do the trick, as the steep neck would let more stuff settle into the cap.

B
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Venari

Thanks Warthaug

Now to use my cheap shipping benefits to have dozens of bottled pop ordered.

Wingeezer
Favourite Beer: UK Bitter

Post by Wingeezer » 5 years ago

I often use 1L Canada dry pop bottles if I want to fill a few bottles from a keg to take on an RV trip. Sometimes I just fill an cap them and hope I don't lose much carbonation, but recently I bought a few "Carbonation caps" from OBK, so now, after I fill them with beer, I also pressurize them at 12-15psi from a CO2 cylinder and have had no problem at all.

I think they would take quite a bit more pressure without any problem because even at 15psi I can indent the headspace area of the bottle a bit with my thumb without much resistance, whereas a new full bottle of ginger ale seems much more resistant to indenting so must be pressurized quite a bit higher.

Brian
Save the whales ...................................... collect the whole set.

Venari

I've been thinking of getting some swingtops. Do they come in PET bottles?

More importantly, are they available in the Ottawa or Edmonton areas?

SeanGodd
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist

Post by SeanGodd » 5 years ago

Venari wrote:I've been thinking of getting some swingtops. Do they come in PET bottles?

More importantly, are they available in the Ottawa or Edmonton areas?
They sell swing top bottles @ defalcos. They are pretty pricey. Guess where you are you can't find Hacker-Pschorr? they are your best bet for swingtops cause they are about the same price but they come full of beer :)

http://store.defalcowines.com/cart.php? ... ory_id=286
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.