Remote community with no CO2 Refill

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Venari
Favourite Beer: Molson Canadian

Remote community with no CO2 Refill

Post by Venari » 5 years ago

Hey,

I live in a remote community, and the local fire station doesn't have any CO2 refilling capabilities. I'm only a few batches into the hobby, but I'm already tired of sanitizing dozens of bottles every time.

Aside from kegging uncarbonated beers (I have a kit for an irish stout), do I have any alternatives to bottling? I do work for an airline, so I COULD have CO2 cannisters flown in, except I'd have to go through all sorts of Dangerous Goods paperwork (pressurized gas) every time.
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Re: Remote community with no CO2 Refill

Post by Doc_Drive » 5 years ago

You can keg carbonate... Same as bottle conditioning... Then there's attachments that lock onto the gas valve and they're run with whipping cream CO2 canisters...

Venari

So if I were to keg carbonate, would the beer get flatter if I drew out some beer?

For example:

I drink a couple mugs of beer, and leave the keg overnight. Would the reduced liquid volume have less carbonation because there's more head space?
I've never understood the policy against "necro threads" on almost every forum. Why tell us to use the search function for a particular topic, then complain when an older thread has a new post in it?

Doc_Drive
Favourite Beer: German wheat

Post by Doc_Drive » 5 years ago

Well, yeah you'll get slower and slower flow rates. However, if you used one of those cobra taps (I think that's what they're called) you can keep the keg pressurized. Not sure whether you can get refill bottles for whipping cream dispensers where you are...

lylo
Favourite Beer: SN Pale Ale

Post by lylo » 5 years ago

You would only have to have it flown in about every 24 months or so.
I don't get drunk, I get awesomer!

DougEdey
Favourite Beer: Porter

Post by DougEdey » 5 years ago

A friend of mine just replaced his 75lber, it took 3 years for him to empty it (including force carbing). As long as you don't have any leaks it'll last AGES. Get a 5lber as well as a bigger one. You can use the 5lber to ensure you have no leaks, and a high pressure hose will allow you to fill the 5lber from the bigger one untill you're 100% certain there're no leaks. I had one leak that emptied a 5lber in an hour, and another that took over a week.

It's slow, but you'll get there.

Venari

Found out there are a few kegs in town I might be able to buy. Assuming I stay in the hobby (already running into people asking me to bootleg some) I was thinking of getting a 20LB tank up here.

Venari

Also: without having a CO2 tank on hand, how could I check to see if the locally used kegs are in good condition for brewing? Is a pressure test required, or are there are ways to tell if they're good to go?

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro » 5 years ago

there are easy ways to sanitize bottles, bulk or with a bottle washer - do you use starsan so you are not rinsing? I see why people keg, I may go that route if I have the room for enough kegs I like variety in stock. I never see why people hate to bottle so much? I find it pretty painless and easy
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Venari

For sanitising ive got a 5kg bucket of powdered 1Step, a no rinse solution that sanitises on contact.