Keezer problem

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
steevesc
Favourite Beer: Spearhead HPA

Keezer problem

Post by steevesc » 5 years ago

Hi All,

I've been having some problems with a newly built keezer and a temperature controller I bought.

This is the freezer (kijiji purchase): http://www.canadianappliance.ca/product ... LFq4Xw_wcB

This is the temp controller with the probe sitting in a flask of water: https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... h-outlets/

Everything seemed to be working fine for about a week (4C set point, 1C differential set) until suddenly the temperature dropped to -25C and froze everything!! The temp controller does not have a reset button and I've tried multiple attempts to disconnect and/or power down everything. While this might work for a day, the freezer doesn't seem to want to be controlled externally.

My first thought was that the controller isn't working properly, so I connected it to my mini fridge set at 12C and it worked perfectly. I then thought that maybe the humidity in the sun room where my keezer is located was causing the controller to malfunction since its spec is only up to 85% RH. After moving the keezer into the house, it still doesn't regulate :(. I have since bought an STC-1000 to try and wire that directly, but I have some concerns.

Is it possible that the freezer's compressor and its internal temp control is over-riding my external controller? Can this be disconnected easily? Will the STC-1000 over-ride the internal control? I have negative experience with electrical things, which is why I bought the easy "plug and go" temp controller.

Any insight is certainly appreciated since I'm tired of my kegs freezing! Thanks!
Primary: Hawaiian Pale Ale
Tap 1: House Pale Ale
Tap 2: Empty
Bottles: Sunset Porter
On Deck:

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Re: Keezer problem

Post by kombat » 5 years ago

steevesc wrote:Is it possible that the freezer's compressor and its internal temp control is over-riding my external controller?
No. I can't see the picture of your controller, but usually, the freezer plugs into the controller, and the controller plugs into the wall. So the freezer only has power while the controller deems to give it power. If the freezer remained on and cooled all the way down to its factory setting (-25C or whatever), then it's because the controller malfunctioned. The most common cause of this is when we remove the probe from the freezer (to, say, add a keg or clean the freezer), and forget to put it back in. The probe then sits outside the freezer, sensing room temperature. The controller mistakenly thinks this is the temperature inside the freezer and continues giving the freezer power as long as the probe temperature (that is, the room's ambient temperature) is above the controller's preset.

Under normal circumstances, with the probe inside the freezer, the controller will cut the power to the freezer when the target temperature has been reached. Thus, without electricity, the freezer cannot continue cooling, even if it wanted to.
steevesc wrote:Can this be disconnected easily? Will the STC-1000 over-ride the internal control?
As I described, you're not really "overriding" anything in the freezer. The freezer is doing what it always does - trying to get the temperature down to -25C. However, the external temperature controller is cutting the power to the freezer when it reaches whatever temperature has been set in the controller.

Troubleshooting suggestions I would offer would be to NOT immerse the probe in water, as they're not all designed to be waterproof and you may have compromised its ability to correctly read temperature. Make sure you have the freezer plugged into the temperature controller and NOT directly into the wall.
steevesc wrote:Any insight is certainly appreciated since I'm tired of my kegs freezing! Thanks!
If your kegs have already frozen, I would be very wary of leaks, as they may have become deformed as the liquid inside expanded and froze.

steevesc

Ah sorry, I guess those links were posted incorrectly. Attached is a pic of the kegerator and controller. The freezer power cord is plugged into the "II" outlet of the controller which is for cooling ("I" is for heating). Even at -26C, the compressor sounds like it is on. As the temperature passes the set points, I can hear the controller "click" like it is trying to do something but the freezer doesn't respond.

Since the controller seemed to work with my mini fridge, I suspect there is some kind of default or safety setting with the freezer, or something wrong with it?
Attachments
photo 2-2.JPG
photo 1-2.JPG
On Deck:

jamatron
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by jamatron » 5 years ago

steevesc wrote: Since the controller seemed to work with my mini fridge, I suspect there is some kind of default or safety setting with the freezer, or something wrong with it?
As kombat stated your freezer has its own temp probe and when its plugged in, the compressor will turn on until that target temp is reached but it will never reach that temp( -25 celcius? doesn't matter) as your new temp controller will cut off the power way before it can get to -25....(i have mine set to 3 celcius and it will kick back on when it gets to 5celcius) I'd say the problem is with your new temp controller. Are you sure the freezer is plugged into the cooling jack and not the heating jack? because if its the heating jack your freezer compressor will run indefinately. You can test your controller by putting the probe under running water and changing it from hot to cold and see how it responds. Hope this helps....no man should be subjected to frozen home brew......
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys

steevesc

jamatron wrote:
steevesc wrote: Are you sure the freezer is plugged into the cooling jack and not the heating jack? because if its the heating jack your freezer compressor will run indefinately.
Positive that the "II" is for cooling. This is from the info sheet: "Outlet Configuration: "I" = Heating, "II" = Refrigeration". I did try and plug it into the heating outlet and the freezer remained on like a freezer should.

I'll try the water test you suggest, but it seems the controller is working since it regulated my mini fridge fine. Maybe I'll just try and wire my STC-1000 and see how that goes. I have also tried yelling at it but that didn't work either.
On Deck:

kevin
Favourite Beer: any lager

Post by kevin » 5 years ago

I have johnson a419 temp controller you should look these up.
Mine works great, have had it for 3 years no problems. Reasonably priced if you buy the one you wire your self.