Ball Lock or Pin Lock??

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Cory1921
Favourite Beer: Bud Lite

Ball Lock or Pin Lock??

Post by Cory1921 » 5 years ago

Getting sick of bottling, looking to get into kegging, just wondering which keg system is better to go with pin lock or ball lock? pin lock seem to be cheaper everywhere I look, is that cause there not as good?? I'm told ball lock are easier to find and easier to find parts for, what's everyone's preference? what r the difference in dimensions for ball lock and pin lock kegs? thx

TRG
Favourite Beer: My IPA

Re: Ball Lock or Pin Lock??

Post by TRG » 5 years ago

Pinlock kegs are shorter and wider... and use different fittings. Not a big deal if you have only pinlocks. If you plan to interchange (and they fit where you need them to) just use the connectors with flare fittings and change them out as you need to.

squintyjay
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post by squintyjay » 5 years ago

+1 to what TRG said. I went ball lock because that was what was available to me at the time though prices seem to have gone up a fair bit since. Just make sure you consider and measure where you're putting the kegs ... when I first got into kegging I converted a small danby bar fridge to hold 2 ball locks. They were snug so not sure it would have fit 2 wider pin lock kegs. Good luck!

Cory1921
Favourite Beer: Bud Lite

Post by Cory1921 » 5 years ago

squintyjay wrote:+1 to what TRG said. I went ball lock because that was what was available to me at the time though prices seem to have gone up a fair bit since. Just make sure you consider and measure where you're putting the kegs ... when I first got into kegging I converted a small danby bar fridge to hold 2 ball locks. They were snug so not sure it would have fit 2 wider pin lock kegs. Good luck!
thx for advice! I am also converting a small danby bar fridge to fit two kegs. looks like ball lock is the way to go. cheers!

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 5 years ago

If you have a Coke distributer in your area, walk right in the front door and ask if they have any. Thats what I did and walked out with 10 kegs at $10 each. Hind sight, should have got 100

TRG
Favourite Beer: My IPA

Post by TRG » 5 years ago

belly - how recently was that?

I just bought my first set of pinlocks. The price difference is unreal right now. 4 for $150 @ OBK. One new ball lock is $120.... crazy.

bellybuster

that was quite a few years ago, wish I had the foresight at the time to buy everything they had. Once I get my rig running again I find 10 kegs is not enough.

bellybuster

most of them have gone to bags instead of the kegs now so I imagine some places have droves of them lying around

ercousin
Favourite Beer: Fruited Lambic

Post by ercousin » 5 years ago

I doubt it. OBK doesn't have used ball locks for sale anymore, and I'm sure Patrick would have called around to all the distributors he could find. I have a feeling the used ball lock market is dead...

Perhaps it's time homebrewers moved to sankeys. New 1/6 bbl sankeys can be had for $70-$85....
Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer
https://ericbrews.wordpress.com/

GTA Brews - Toronto's Local Homebrew Club
http://www.gtabrews.ca/

bellybuster

you may be right, I don't know.

sanke kegs are awesome tough kegs, if I were to do it again I'd probably go that route. I don't believe cleaning to be as bad as allot think, the spear comes completely apart and the inside is completely smooth.
I still hear of some Coke kegs out there but us brewers are responsible for giving them more value than they are worth.
If you're looking for the best deals it is worth doing some leg work and asking around. I know of more than 1 restaurant here that has a few but so far not willing to part with them as they use them for carbing water