Poor Carbonation

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Deanwttck

Poor Carbonation

Post by Deanwttck » 5 years ago

Having been kegging beer for now than 1 year now,I have always just kegged the beer at 10 psi . ,serving pressure, waiting 2 weeks ,then drinking it. I notice a lot of the time though, although there is a lot of head on the beer,(sometimes too much,) usually within 2 minutes ,the beer is almost totally flat. I notice that commercial beer doesn't seem to have as much foam at the top,but the bubbles seem to stay in the beer much longer. I've seen some people pressurize to 30psi for several minutes rolling or shaking the keg. I've guess I'm too worried about blowback, having to turn off valves to other kegs etc (in my kegerator there's not much room to diddle with valves etc) to try the 30psi method,although I would if it helps my brew.. I thought maybe the 30 psi ,shaking etc. might carbonate the beer better than just putting 10 psi on the top of it? I could try out the 30 psi on my next batch,but I thought I ask others who may have problems with flat beer ?. The beer I'm drinking now is almost a month in the keg at 10 psi,so it's not a time issue I don't think. Can any one give me some advise on getting better carbonization in my corn. Kegs
Thanks ;dean

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Re: Poor Carbonation

Post by Reignman » 5 years ago

I set mine at 30 psi for a day or two. I then turn it down to 8 psi, purge the keg and sample a glass. It is usually okay but sometimes I have to go a little longer but never go over 2 days. How long is your beer line? Is your system balanced? Check for leaks?

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 5 years ago

if you want to let your beer properly carb over time use a carbonation calculator.
this is the one I use. if you hold that carbing pressure for 3 or 4 days it will be perfect every time.
make sure you click "kegging"
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipa ... ation.html

having proper beer line length is really important for proper carbonation. A lesson that took quite some time for me to learn.

jamatron

Post by jamatron » 5 years ago

If your getting lots of foam at first pour and the beer goes flat quickly your problem is most likely beer line length. Your pressure at the tap should be around 0-1psi. As the beer travels through the line it loses its pressure so increasing the beer line length should solve this. As far as carbing schedule, i carb at 30 psi for 48hrs without shaking or rolling, then 12 psi for 24 hrs and its ready to go..never had a problem yet. also carbing at 30 psi makes sure everything gets sealed nice and tight.
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys

Deanwttck

Post by Deanwttck » 5 years ago

My kegerator is very small, so having 4 kegs, I had to keep my 4- 3/16" Id lines to my 4 taps as short as possible. Each line is only 2-3' at most. Having read others opinions of the importance of the beer lines length, the resistance of lines and taps etc. should my serving pressure be on the low side ,maybe 5psi ,or on the high side 12psi. Right now I'm using 10 psi, but my beer always has a ton of foam with little carbonation. Thanks:dean

jamatron

Post by jamatron » 5 years ago

a 3/16" id line will lose 3psi per foot of line, while a 1/4" id line will only lose 0.8psi per foot of line. you also lose 1 psi at the shank. So if u dont want to increase the length of your beer line, dial the pressure back when u pour and and dial it back up again to keep your keg carbed at your desired co2 volumes ( btw thats a real pita, id just put a longer piece of line on) ;)
Beer won't solve your problems...but neither will milk!
-Flying Monkeys