Transferring between kegs - worth it?

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
squintyjay
Favourite Beer: All of them

Transferring between kegs - worth it?

Post by squintyjay » 5 years ago

Hi guys, this is something I've been giving some thought to lately and wondered if anyone here bothers / finds it useful? I searched but didn't find any threads on the topic specifically (sorry if I missed it).

I'm running a small converted danby mini fridge that will hold 2 corny kegs at the moment though am in the midst of planning a larger keezer build. My fridge has been working just fine but I want more selection :-) One of the things that bothers me is that after kegging and using gelatin in the keg to clear it up if I have to pull a keg out for any reason - for instance to get at my co2 tank behind - it stirs up all the crap at the bottom and I'm left with cloudy beer again. Also, with the spring/summer coming I'd love to be able to pull a keg out and take it out on my deck when having bbq's etc so have been thinking it may be worth playing around with transferring from the initial keg where it's conditioned to a final serving keg with a jumper.

I've watched some videos and read some threads on HBT but wondered if anyone here could chime in quickly on their experience and/or process? Thanks in advance, Jay

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Re: Transferring between kegs - worth it?

Post by bellybuster » 5 years ago

I just allow my beers to clear prior to being kegged and never have this issue. I do not use clearing agents, just time.
I could never understand using solids to remove solids only to have those solids sitting at the bottom of your beer.

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 » 5 years ago

you should have no problems doing that squinty, after fermentation i transfer to c/boy and crash for at least 2-3 weeks, then fill the kegs as needed ,put in fridge on co2 and have clear beer all the time. i tried gelaton in my c/boys and kegs and found that the sedement didnt for ma tight enough cake and would stir up a bit when moved, it helps to have a lrg keezer and a good pipeline of beer.good luck with it :cheers:

OntarioBeerkegs

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » 5 years ago

If I wanted something as clear as water. I would just drink a cup of water.
RDWHAHB
Canadian Homebrew Supplies
www.ontariobeerkegs.com
www.brewpump.com
1 855 KEG BEER

squintyjay

OntarioBeerkegs wrote:Image

If I wanted something as clear as water. I would just drink a cup of water.
RDWHAHB

Hahahaha awesome. I would probably drink anything she's selling, water or not haha!

squintyjay

Thanks guys, that's helpful info. Once I move to the keezer I'm thinking the extra space / ability to cold crash before racking should help.

(Patrick - a deal of the day on shanks would get me that much closer haha)

Cheers, Jay

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Post by Reignman » 5 years ago

I transfer all of my kegs after using gelatin. I move kegs all the time from the basement upstairs to my pub room. Probably why I use so much C02, but I don't care. I have limited keg space and I also use a CPBF and have to lift the keg up and out of the keezer when I bottle under pressure. I need clear beer to use it.

squintyjay

Thank you Reignman, that's what I've been planning and for similar reasons! Last time I pulled the keg out of the fridge to use my bottle filler I was a little rough with it and stirred up things at the bottom. I also like the idea of being able to carry one outside in the summer while keeping it clear. I ordered an extra disconnect with my last OBK order to make a jumper and figured it might be worth a shot.... but haven't tried it yet. What I'm planning is this: fermentor to keg 1, put in fridge to cool overnight then add gelatin and let sit for 3 days or so, then transfer to serving keg and force carb. Sound good to you? Any tips , changes you would suggest?

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat » 5 years ago

squintyjay wrote:What I'm planning is this: fermentor to keg 1, put in fridge to cool overnight then add gelatin and let sit for 3 days or so, then transfer to serving keg and force carb. Sound good to you? Any tips , changes you would suggest?
That sounds very similar to what I do, except I cold-crash and add gelatin while still in the primary fermenter, then I transfer (very clear) beer to the keg. However, after sitting still for several weeks, you'll still inevitably get some yeast collecting at the bottom, and if you jostle the keg, it will swirl it back up into suspension.

I think the only sure-fire ways to get clear beer are either a) time or b) filtering.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 5 years ago

I've done the transfer process, and it works but its not usually (IMO) worth doing.

I made a simply transfer device - essentially two beer-out connectors on a tube. Chill & carb & let your beer sit until the sediment has fallen out, reduce the pressure to 2-4PSI and pour off the glass or two of sediment. Then hook up the transfer tube, and control the transfer by venting the empty keg as flow slow. I learned the hard way to not just vent continually the empty keg as this can cause foaming.

The only time I now bother with this is if I'm travelling with a keg. A day of bad pours after moving the kegorator, to me, is less of an issue than the effort is worth.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!