capping WTF!!

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
SmokeyMcB
Favourite Beer: None

capping WTF!!

Post by SmokeyMcB » 5 years ago

So as I was finishing bottling "Mr Cooper's Aztec Abomination" (which tastes a lot like water lol!!) Last weekend and my butterfly capper started to complain. The bastard even ripped the top off a bottle in protest! Anyway, I forced him to finish the job...

Yesterday I pulled out a bottle to check if it was clearing and it was fizzing away in the bottle. It had not capped properly. Guess my butterfly capper is trying to fuk me. I franticlly checked them all! Only two were fizzing, the rest had secure caps and were very clear.

I took one of the two and tried to secure the caps with my newly accuired bench capper. It capped beautifully but now a new problem. The bottle cap, bottle included was stuck in the bell of the bench capper. I had to unscrew the bell from the capper and try to tap it off the bottle. Long story short(er) I sabre'ed my first bottle lol!! Once I dug the cap and bottle neck out of the bell, wich was a task and a half! I did the only other smart thing I could think of. I capped the other fizzing bottle lol. Same result, just now that bottle is in the case with the bell still attached to it lol.

So, WTF! I know butterfly cappers are POS's but what's the deal with the bench capper? Are there different size bells and caps? Can I buy another bell for this capper or am I SOL? I tried the bell from my butterfly capper but its not threaded the same.

Sorry for the long story/question and thanks for any advice.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Re: capping WTF!!

Post by bellybuster » 5 years ago

tough luck man!!
I have a bench capper that has too small a bell as well. My wing capper though works great, when it started acting up I just oiled it and it works like new. Gotta be 20+ years old.

you can buy new bells and also get a larger 29mm one for larger bottles like belgians I think the standard size is 26.5mm but don't quote me
any LHBS should be able to order one for you.

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro » 5 years ago

mine stick slightly the odd time but nothing serious - take a dremel tool or similar and grind the bell a little, or you have to replace it
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

SmokeyMcB

Thanks bro. I was confused because I found the two size capper bells online but it didn't make sense because there were only two sizes. One small for regular caps and one large for european caps. But mine was too small for the small caps!

I'll just get a replacement bell then. I think this bench capper is very old. I got it and a floor corker for 48 dollars on kijiji lol.

Edit: I'm gonna give the dremel a go and see what happens.
If you blame life, you blame who give it. So don't blame life, blame the way how you live it!

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 5 years ago

I find my bench capper to be twice the work the wing capper is. It collects dust

Nobbyipa
Favourite Beer: ipa

Post by Nobbyipa » 5 years ago

the standard is 26mm
or the larger less used ones are 29mm
if it is only sticking a bit
lubricate the bell with wax [rub inside with a candle]
the bells usually are off circle slightly oval
once capped push to the right left in the oval of the bell to release

Nobbyipa

SmokeyMcB

Thanks for the vid nobby, but there is absoutlly no movement of the bottle cap in the bell. So no wiggle could be had.

Nobbyipa

SmokeyMcB wrote:Thanks for the vid nobby, but there is absoutlly no movement of the bottle cap in the bell. So no wiggle could be had.
maybe you have bottles that are not recappable
in UK there are a few you cannot use
Hob gobbling bottles for example
measure the neck of your bottles then measure your caps
26mm or 29mm?
and do the same on your capper bell
have you any photos?

SmokeyMcB

Regular pry cap bottles. I capped 50 with my butterfly capper before it shit the bed. The bell on the bench capper just seems to be a little smaller at the deepest point then the bell on the butterfly. They are both exactlly the same at the mouth.