Should beer clear in carboy or keg?

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Deanwttck

Should beer clear in carboy or keg?

Post by Deanwttck » 5 years ago

I've always used a primary and then a secondary for brewing. I'd leave the beer in the primary for 4-5 days ,then transfer it into a secondary and leave it for another 3weeks to clear,then into the keg overnight to cool. I would add gelatin to help it clear, then in about a week ,pound a few back. I thought I'd try (as members of this forum suggested) forgetting the primary, and start fermenting in a carboy and leaving it there for a month to clear,then into the fridge over night to cool,then add gelatin, etc. I just watched a video, where the brewer transferred his beer into the keg after about a week, after making it , I assume when the fermatation was complete. I'm having second thoughts now about me leaving the brew so long in the carboy. I'm thinking now, maybe it would clear better if i put the brew in the keg asap after fermentation,say about a week and a half in the carboy,then into the keg , chilled, gelatined, then wait the 3 weeks to clear in the kegorator. I always thought the clearer the beer going into the keg the better, but maybe transferring it from the carboy disturbs the beer enough to make it cloudy again, and it has to clear again in the keg. I guess what I'm asking,is better to let the warm beer clear in the carboy or in the keg in the kegorator? Thanks :dean

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Re: Should beer clear in carboy or keg?

Post by oro » 5 years ago

I primary in a carboy for a few weeks, cold crash 24-48hrs, add gelatin and continue cold crashing 4-5 days. Use a secondary if dry hoping or fruit addition.
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

lylo
Favourite Beer: SN Pale Ale

Post by lylo » 5 years ago

What oro said except I also often primary in a wide mouth plastic bucket.
I don't get drunk, I get awesomer!

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 » 5 years ago

ferment for 21 days in c/boy then transfer to a purged keg, crash for a few weeks and dicard the first pour as it will probably be cloudy with trub, cheers

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 5 years ago

In my experience, moving to a secondary can reduce the amount of sediment in the bottom of the keg, but has no noticeable effect otherwise on clarity. Clarity is largely determined by small particulates, many of which only form under cold conditions (e.g. chill haze). So unless you are cold-crashing prior to transferring beer to the keg, the formation of chill haze won't be impacted by whether you secondary or not.

Unless I am doing extended aging adding fruit/dry hopping, or planning on moving the keg post-carbonation, I don't bother with a secondary.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!

Nobbyipa
Favourite Beer: ipa

Post by Nobbyipa » 5 years ago

yup your right the clearer the beer prior to bottling or kegging is the key

i always ferment out transfer to secondary then transfer again to bottling bucket or in your case keg

i think of it this way i never use finings just irish moss or whirflok 15 mins boil

really the clearer your ale is at bottling or kegging time ,the better and the more you clear it before hand the better

:cheers:

Loose Screw

Post by Loose Screw » 5 years ago

I'm new to kegging and am wondering if I should add gelatin or not? My previous batches have came out very clear after bottle conditioning so I'm tempted to now worry about anything to clear.

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Bitters

Post by Reignman » 5 years ago

I use gelatin in all of my kegs. I usually transfer to second kegs so it doesn't mix in when I move it around from one fridge to another.

Warthaug
Favourite Beer: The wet kind

Post by Warthaug » 5 years ago

Gelatin can do a lot to clear beer; it works best if the beer is cold, but even at warm temps can pull a lot of stuff out of the beer. I don't bother with it when I brew darker beers, but for the lighter ones I always add a bit of gelatin to the keg before I carb; by the time caring is done the beer is clear. The first pint will be a tosser - it'll be full of gelatin-absorbed gunk - but after that its all clear pours.

Bryan
Visit my blog at suigenerisbrewing.com. Homebrewing, yeast wrangling, wild yeast and more!