Bottle priming and aging

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Lee
Favourite Beer: Cream Ales

Bottle priming and aging

Post by Lee » 4 years ago

Hi folks, I just finished putting together my latest batch of beer, which is intended to be a summer beer (assuming I don't drink it before then), and I have a question regarding aging.

The only other time I have aged a beer for a long time in the bottle has led to carbonation which increases with age. The bottles I sampled early (a few weeks after bottling) were carbed how I wanted them to be, but I noticed as time went on the carbonation just kept increasing. After bottling that batch I stored the bottles in a warm part of the house for 2 weeks then moved to the colder basement, which is where they have been stored since. I understood you needed the warmth to generate the carbonation and the cold storage would stop carbonation, what am I missing?

For this latest batch, I need some advice on how to manage it so that I don't have a repeat. I don't want to open these in July and have them going nuts....would I under prime slightly now to take account for this? Should I store them differently?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Happy brewing!
YipYap Brewing Co

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Re: Bottle priming and aging

Post by oro » 4 years ago

how do you figure how much priming sugar to use? if this is calculated right should not have issues
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...

Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post by Canuck » 4 years ago

I agree with Oro, if you are using the appropriate amount of priming sugar, over carbing won't be an issue. A calculator like the one below comes in extremely handy!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Lee
Favourite Beer: Cream Ales

Post by Lee » 4 years ago

I always use the priming calculator on tastybrew.com

It hasn't let me down yet, but all the beer I have made has been consumed within a couple of months of bottling, but this batch I aged has shown increasing carbonation over time. Like I said, in the beginning the carbonation was fine with this particular batch too, if I had finished it off within a couple of months I would never have seen an issue.

I batch prime using boiled, cooled water and the dextrose.

So, nobody has experienced this before with beers that are aged? I just tried to attach a video showing what I am talking about but it's over the size limit allowed on this site; it's bubbling so violently the bubbles are bouncing 3/4 of an inch off the underside of the head as they hit it.

Lee
YipYap Brewing Co

Goulaigan
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by Goulaigan » 4 years ago

Do you take a gravity reading before bottling? If the ferment wasn't quite done that could probably add to carbonation...

ruf1
Favourite Beer: lots

Post by ruf1 » 4 years ago

you may have some issues with calculating your total volume of beer to be bottled, if your calcs are off you could be over priming, i had bottled a few last summer that turned out to be volcano beers,when i opened the bottles the beer shot out like a volcano, should have paid more attention to how much honey i put in that batch, do you have your c/boys marked with exact volume marks?? U.S and canadian gals are different measured volumes also :stirpot:

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim » 4 years ago

Bottle carbonation should not be increasing as it ages, but I agree it changes.
At 2 weeks the bottles are carbonated, the bubbles are large and dissipate very quickly
in a month the carbonation is tiny, the foam dense and thick, lacing on the glass is common
at 1.5months plus the foam is like meringue you can pick it up with your finger. This is the kind of carbonation that Guinness is trying to replicate by carbonating with nitrogen.

john3364
Favourite Beer: red ale

Post by john3364 » 2 years ago

I have not bottled yet
but I am about to for my first batch which is Festa brew red ale in about a week
but my question is the instructions say and the supplier where I bought my wort from to prime with 1 cup to one and 1/2 cups for 23 liters
I am correct to say only use 5 Oz instead

ECH
Favourite Beer: IPA
Location: Hanwell, New Brunswick (just outside of Fredericton)

Post by ECH » 2 years ago

john3364 wrote:I have not bottled yet
but I am about to for my first batch which is Festa brew red ale in about a week
but my question is the instructions say and the supplier where I bought my wort from to prime with 1 cup to one and 1/2 cups for 23 liters
I am correct to say only use 5 Oz instead
I wouldn't necessarily even use that much. Most batches I make, I rarely go over 3.5oz of corn sugar for a 5 gal batch. The last one was an exception as it was a Saison, they are generally carbed higher, beersmith said 5oz, which I though was a little high, and opted for 4.5oz. I still have some of my first batch I did, that I used 4oz in, and it is too much, takes awhile to drink because it is over carbed.

Just depends on the style of the beer

john3364
Favourite Beer: red ale

Post by john3364 » 2 years ago

Thanks for you respond
I don't get why the instructions would even suggest for 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of priming sugar
I even called the suppler and he told me to use that amount
he said no one has ever had a issue and Festa Brew red ale calls for that amount.
I think I will do my first bottling at 3.5 to 4 oz