Spunding Valve

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
P-A
Favourite Beer: Heady Topper

Spunding Valve

Post by P-A » 6 years ago

I would like to build a spunding valve in order to ferment/carb in a corny keg.

Many people on HBT seem to be using this pressure release valve:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CDI-CO ... lief-4TK26

Do you guys know a Canadian store that would ship this product (or something similar).

TRG
Favourite Beer: My IPA

Re: Spunding Valve

Post by TRG » 6 years ago

Why do you want to ferment in a corny?

To me, seems like a pricey way to ferment beer and takes one finished beer vessel out of the rotation. Also, headspace will be an issue?

P-A

A few reasons:

1- It has been done many times by people on HBT. Headspace can be a problem, but most people seem to be able to fit 5g in a corny by using fermcaps. The first 2-3 days, I would remove the gas post and be using a blowoff tube instead of the spunding valve.

2- Let you carb the beer naturally (without adding more sugar). I only have a small CO2 tank and I don't want to refill it too often.

3- Once you close the corny, the beer never sees oxygen again (unless you want to dry hop!)

4- A lot of people are saying that fermenting under slight pressure can help reducing ester production, leading to even cleaner lagers

5- Makes yeast harvesting so much easier... Plug a picnic tap and it's done.

6- Cornys are slightly easier to clean than carboys

7- Cornys have a smaller footprint in a fermentation chamber so you can fit more at the same time. Same thing if you want to cold crash.

8- I have 6 cornys and only 1 tap at the moment! So using cornys as fermenter is not a big deal for me.

9- I'm a scientist and I like to try new experiments!

jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith » 6 years ago

OntarioBeerKegs used to sell spunding valves, but I don't see them listed on their site any longer. Perhaps get in touch with Patrick at OBK, he might be able to help you out.
The Brewnosers

Fermenting: Lion & Lamb IIPA (WLP051), Strongbad Bitter (US-05)
On tap: Cardinal Sin India Red Ale, Count Chocula Chocolate Milk Stout, Lion & Lamb IIPA (WLP001), Strongbad Bitter (S-04)

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » 6 years ago

So do you just pour the first bit off until the yeast stops comming out? Are there any issues with clogging the out post of the keg? What would you expect to end up with for finished product after fermentation and the yeast has been drained?
http://www.brewnosers.org
Atlantic Canada Homebrew Club

Custom BIAB Bags: http://www.biab-brewing.com

P-A

I know a lot of people doing this are slightly bending or cutting the dip tube so that it will stay a bit higher than the yeast cake. I've also read about people putting some kind of screen or filter on the end of the dip tube to avoid clogging the tube.

Basically, when the keg is ready, you simply pour until the beer runs clear and transfer into a serving keg.

More info about the technique here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7125050/beer/Cl ... tation.pdf

and here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/closed- ... que-44344/

outscidr

Post by outscidr » 6 years ago

Adventures in homebrewing (homebrewing.org) has the filter 7.99 and also a replacement lid for the corny that you could put an air lock on. 12.99.

The only thing I don't like about this idea is getting the filter off for cleaning. I guess if you cut the dip tube enough it may not be to bad.

TRG
Favourite Beer: My IPA

Post by TRG » 6 years ago

Interesting. I've seen people fermenting in corny's before... just never paid much attention to it as I didn't the the benefits. Some interesting points.

I wonder how much it'll improve the finished product. Keep us posted.

blacktiebrewing

Post by blacktiebrewing » 6 years ago

I've also seen people stepping up to fermenting 10 gal batches in Sankes. A bit heavy but lots of headroom for a full batch.
Might be a pain to clean but a I'm sure you could set up a half decent Clean in Place system for them.

It would be pretty simple to push the carbonated beer into 2 cornies for serving.
"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

beans
Favourite Beer: American Brown Ale

Post by beans » 5 years ago

I looked at this too but I couldn't figure out how to dry hop after ferment without taking the pressure off the keg. I came across a few posts that spoke of partial carbonation and the yeast not liking more than 7 psi as well.

Anyhow, I was pondering on what would happen if you made a coupling tube for a Corny with a gas-in ball lock on each end and a pop bottle adapter on just one end. Then you could add enough priming sugar to a partially full 2L pop bottle attached to the adapter to carbonate the main keg and the disposable pop bottle "primer" brew? I'd guess at ~150g of dextrose @ 68 deg F for a 2.5 gal keg? Would this not be a cheap C02 charge good enough to force carbonate the keg while it matures without the sediment of bottle priming?
next: Nut Brown Lager (a lighter version)
Keg 1: Dunkelweizen Ale
Keg 2: Brown Ale (with Safale S-05 & far too much Perle!)
Primary: Brown Ale (with Safale S-04 & Spalt Select this time)
2ndary: Gotlandsdricka (White Labs European Ale yeast)
Dunkelweisen Lager, Pilsner Lager, Nut Brown Lager (all Saflager w34-70)
bottled: Pilsner Ale, Munton's Brown Ale & etc.