Regulator Addition

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Patrickivan
Favourite Beer: My Weissbier

Regulator Addition

Post #1 by Patrickivan » 1 month ago

Hi-

Can someone help me out?

I'd like to add a second regulator to my existing Taprite Primary C02 Dual Regulator(Poly Bonnet, 60PSI & 2000PSI) [T742HP-02] Image

Can I add this regulator to it? I was told just a primary to a primary or else there'd be issues. I just wasn't sure what exact one to order (I really tried to get them to tell me- to no avail).
Taprite Single Product Primary CO2 Regulator (60PSI) [T741] Image

And to use a left hand thread nipple to pair them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I thought of just using a spliter, and foregoing the whole second regulator, but I figured that in the long run, I'd rather have the option for better control over my second keg.

Thanks
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Regulator Addition

Post #2 by brhenrio » 4 weeks ago

You would have to unscrew the tank pressure gauge, and add the new regulator there.
In the fermentor: Gentlemans Skids Brown Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3: Cheaters Red Ale
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post #3 by brhenrio » 4 weeks ago

But i am not sure if that is the proper one or if you can even unscrew that gauge
In the fermentor: Gentlemans Skids Brown Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3: Cheaters Red Ale
Patrickivan

Post #4 by Patrickivan » 4 weeks ago

Yup- everything detaches. That's not the issue, it's just making sure I buy the right one.

George Nathan
tekknofobia2
Favourite Beer: ESB

Post #5 by tekknofobia2 » 3 weeks ago

Yes you will have to remove the tank pressure gauge and use a proper connection stem such as:

https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Regulat ... t-stem.htm

Not sure if you need right hand or left hand tread but I'm sure you can figure it out when you take the gauge out.
Cross reference this but I'm pretty sure the only difference between primary and secondary or low pressure and high pressure regulator is the spring inside. The outside brass cavity that contains all the inside parts is the same resulting in being able to handle the same pressure. If you were to switch and place the low pressure spring into a high pressure side the spring would just bottom out and you would not get to high pressure. Besides when we talk about high pressure we're talking about 120 psi and up.
The regulator you posted the picture of is rated for 60 psi. In beer kegging do you even reach 30 psi? Even if you carbonated a beer to 4.0 volumes and kept it at 56F which is very warm for a beer, your regulator pressure would have to be set at 41.1 psi. I'm sure you keep your beer a lot colder than that and you don't even come close to 30psi.
Don't settle for a simple barb splitter. Separate regulator for every beer is the way to go.
tekknofobia2

Post #6 by tekknofobia2 » 2 weeks ago

I just found out that the diaphragm inside the high pressure regulator differs from the one in the low pressure regulator. It is rated at higher pressure. Like I said earlier though you will never go over 60 psi so I don't see a problem.
Patrickivan

Post #7 by Patrickivan » 2 weeks ago

Thanks- and you're right- other than when I force keg initially, I've absolutely no reason to even go past 30psi.

George Nathan
tekknofobia2

Post #8 by tekknofobia2 » 2 weeks ago

are these regs from OBK?
Patrickivan

Post #9 by Patrickivan » 2 weeks ago

Mine is- and one I was looking at buy is from them. I was considering from them. I asked quite specifically which one to buy. Said which one I had... I just couldn't get a straight answer for some reason. While they gave me some decent info about regulators, I don't know why they just couldn't say: "If you have this one (that I specified), and you want to do this (that I specified), this is the product we recommend..."

George Nathan
tekknofobia2

Post #10 by tekknofobia2 » 2 weeks ago

I agree they should have been a little more helpful. Did you try Toronto Brewing? I find them to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Return to “Bottling & Kegging”