Line balancing

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
tekknofobia2
Favourite Beer: ESB

Line balancing

Post #1 by tekknofobia2 » 1 month ago

New to this forum. Have been brewing for about 3 years. Converting to kegging. Just picked up 3 kornies on Saturday. Waiting for the shipment of new O-rings from OBK. Have been doing a lot of reading about designing a kegging system. Read a few articles about balancing the system based on the length, diameter and type of tubing used. I think I understand the whole balancing act and how to put it all together and then: I came across this faucet attached to a ball lock straight on the keg at Toronto Brewing. I did not ask the dude at the store but now I'm thinking, how is that set up balanced? If there is 15 psi in a keg and you open that tap isn't this gonna start shooting foam? How is that set up balanced without beer line?
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Re: Line balancing

Post #2 by Reignman » 1 month ago

There must be a gas line isn't there? It is usually red.
Hebron
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post #3 by Hebron » 1 month ago

The idea of that set up is for dispensing at parties directly from the keg, as a less frat-party looking option like a cobra tap, though not as nice as a jockey box. So you first force carb the keg to desired volume co2 at home in your kegerator. Then bring keg and co2 to party. Install the gas line and ball lock faucet, pull the pressure relief valve, and set your pressure to 1-2psi, or just enough to push the liquid out. The dissolved co2 stays in solution for a while, depending on temperature and time. It's not a long-term option, unless you're willing to change your co2 pressure constantly.
Fermenting: citra SMaSH, Immodest Clone
Serving: Canadian Buck Fifty Lager, Cascade IPL, OBK Cream Ale
Up next: currently soliciting suggestions!
tekknofobia2

Post #4 by tekknofobia2 » 1 month ago

Thank you Hebron, that makes sense. Now it's all crystal clear. Any of you use stainless tubing for beer lines. I wanna avoid pvc and other plastic tubing. I don't trust plastic or the so called experts that always assure us that it is food safe and it does not leach just to find later on that it does.
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Post #5 by brhenrio » 1 month ago

I would personally be more worried about dissolved chromium from stainless lines.
In the fermentors: Air
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3: Commoners ESB
Up Next: NEIPA or Down the Drain Heferwiezen
tekknofobia2

Post #6 by tekknofobia2 » 1 month ago

I was under the impression that 316 stainless is inert much like glass and it will not leach. Can you point me to that source of information you found about chromium leaching. I'd like to learn more about it.
tekknofobia2

Post #7 by tekknofobia2 » 1 month ago

Yes I found some info about stainless leaching. Thanks for the heads up.

Return to “Bottling & Kegging”