Bottling from Keg

You can't leave your homebrew in primary forever! Let's talk about storage.
Hebron
Favourite Beer: IPA

Bottling from Keg

Post #1 by Hebron » 1 week ago

Greetings fellow homebrewers. After reading everything imaginable on the brulosophy.com site, which I highly recommend, I'm currently running an exbeeriment of my own I thought you might be interested to know about, or share your thoughts on. Being that I have a limited number of kegs, and that I like brewing so much I make more than I can keg, I was wondering if I could bottle my kegged brew and still retain its freshness and carbonation. I'ver read that people do it for short-term use, but I'm not so sure about the long term. So, using a DIY counter pressure filler (bottling wand jammed into a picnic tap with a #2 stopper in the bottle neck), I filled 12 bottles of a recently kegged English Ale. I moved them to a dark corner of my basement to imitate normal storage temps (~70F), and then each week I've been chilling a bottle and opening it. Two weeks in, I'm pretty impressed at how well it's going. I'll keep you posted, but if it holds true to the end of 12 weeks, I may just be keg-bottling a whole bunch, either to give away, to bring to the locker room after hockey, or even just to drain the remainder of a half-empty keg I want to refill with my newest brew. What else am I going to do with the hundred Grolsch bottles I've got kicking around here anyway, right? Anyone else doing this?
Fermenting: simcoe blonde, OBK cream ale
Serving: short boil IPA, amber lager, simple cider
Up next: black IPA, OBK IPL, oktoberfest
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Re: Bottling from Keg

Post #2 by Reignman » 1 week ago

I use a CPBF ( counter pressure bottle filler ) which I bought a long time ago. I have limited keg space so this comes in very handy.
Hebron
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post #3 by Hebron » 1 week ago

Awesome, Reignman. So do you notice a significant loss of freshness or carbonation after a certain amount of time in bottles? I mean, does using the CPBF reasonably eliminate the "drink this within x days" warning you get when you have a growler filled at the brewery?
Fermenting: simcoe blonde, OBK cream ale
Serving: short boil IPA, amber lager, simple cider
Up next: black IPA, OBK IPL, oktoberfest
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Post #4 by Reignman » 1 week ago

No. The CPBF purges the bottles with CO2 before filling with beer.

Return to “Bottling & Kegging”