What to do with leftover grains?

Discuss and share tips & techniques for all grain and partial mash brewing.
Skinner

Re: What to do with leftover grains?

Post #11 by Skinner » 5 years ago

Copied from www.bodensatz.com:

"I've been doing some experimentation recently after mashing, and have finally come up with a really good recipe for bread which uses some of the spent grains. Sorry this recipe isn't exacting, but anyone who's made bread to any extent should know how to turn this into something yummy.

I started by scooping about 1 and 1/4 litres (quarts) of wet spent grain out of my drained latuer tun. That I put into a large bowl, and added enough water (maybe 2 cups, but I didn't measure) to allow me to get my hand-blender in there and mash everthing up nicely. To this gunk I added about 1/2 cup of molasses, 3 or 4 cups of whole wheat flour, about 1/3 to 1/2 cup canola oil, a teaspoon of salt, and 5 to 8 teaspoons of bread yeast. I mixed this all up nicely into a really mushy sort of 'gook', and put a towel over it for a half hour to give the yeast time to get going.

After the half hour was up, I chucked in about 1/2 to 3/4 cups rolled oats, a bit more oil, and kept adding flour to it as I kneaded. In total, counting the 3 to 4 cups of flour above, I used just about all of a 5.5 lb bag of flour, and the thing made 4 really nice loaves of bread. You basically just keep adding flour until you can knead without the dough sticking to your hands.

Once you get a nice dough, let it rise (covered) for about 1/2 hour, then divide into four loaves and put into well-greased bread pans. Cover and let rise again 1/2 hour. Bake at 375F for 30 to 40 minutes.

This results in a bread which has a very distinctive barley taste which is not too overpowering as some of my earlier experiments have been. Keep in mind that barley husks are astringent so using too much of your spent grain results in a rather harsh bread that I don't think many people would enjoy. You could obviously use more from a wheat beer mash than from an all barley mash."

Cheers!
K
cm961

Post #12 by cm961 » 5 years ago

Thanks for posting that. I'll post results. It's good to know I won't be eating dog food!
B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post #13 by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT » 5 years ago

Brewed 50 gallons yesterday, 100lbs of spent grain filled a garbage pail. I would need a dog sled team to consume all these dog cookies! And one heavy duty pooper scooper!
Attachments
IMG00093-20110507-0026.jpg
100 lbs of spent grain
Administrator

Post #14 by Administrator » 5 years ago

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT wrote:Brewed 50 gallons yesterday, 100lbs of spent grain filled a garbage pail. I would need a dog sled team to consume all these dog cookies! And one heavy duty pooper scooper!

LOL that's awesome :)
B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post #15 by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT » 5 years ago

I was asked to stand in IHB's upcoming wedding. I ofcourse volunteered to make the wine and brew all the beer. I took the day off and brewed for 10 hours. After the brew session and cleanup was complete IHB stopped in and we kegged off 4 corny's. All together that day brewed 50 gallons, kegged 25 gallons. The wedding should be well stocked with brew!
Sixstring78

Post #16 by Sixstring78 » 5 years ago

Quite the impressive brew day!
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"
Sixstring78

Post #17 by Sixstring78 » 5 years ago

Made the dog biscuits today. They're tasty. And the dogs like them too. :)
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"
small batch

Post #18 by small batch » 5 years ago

Sorry to resurrect an old thread!
I haven't actually done it yet, but this site has a section called a"The Spent Grain Chef" with ideas for things to make with spent grain that go well beyond dog biscuits: http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/cat ... grainchef/
The Barley and Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars look great! The Spent Grain BBQ Burgers look intriquing, but I still think I need some beef in my burger...
birvine

Post #19 by birvine » 4 years ago

By the way, how did the brew go over at the wedding? Did people choose the homebrew above the commercial beer/wine?

B
Northeastern Ontario's own...
Swan Lane Brewery and Winery
Canuck
Favourite Beer: All of them

Post #20 by Canuck » 4 years ago

I save some of the grain and make beer bread with it. :)

Return to “All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing”