Thoughts on 100% Chinook black IPA?

Discuss and share tips & techniques for all grain and partial mash brewing.
twistandstout

Thoughts on 100% Chinook black IPA?

Post #1 by twistandstout » 3 weeks ago

I have a "house" black IPA I brew that I like to play around with every fall. It's the beer I serve at my annual Halloween party. :stirpot:

Last year, I made it a double. This year, I got a great harvest of Chinook hops and they smell incredible. I've always really liked Chinook, so I thought it would be interesting to hop this year's version exclusively with Chinook. I'd do massive late additions of "wet" Chinook I just harvested, along with a very healthy whirlpool. I have dried and packaged my remaining Chinook and was going to include a big dry-hop.

What does everyone think? I don't have all that much experience brewing with Chinook, so I'm wondering if this hop variety will blend well with the more roasty/caramel flavour that the grains will bring?

Thanks! Fall is truly the greatest season :laugh:
brhenrio
Favourite Beer: Stouts

Re: Thoughts on 100% Chinook black IPA?

Post #2 by brhenrio » 3 weeks ago

I dont have much experience with chinook, but a quick google on its profile tells mw it should be a good single hop brew.
In the fermentors: Cheaters Red Ale
Tap 1: toy soldier stout
Tap 2: A Boy Named Sue's Root Beer
Tap 3: Commoners ESB
Up Next: NEIPA or Down the Drain Heferwiezen
Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsner

Post #3 by Reignman » 3 weeks ago

I like Chinnok, just bought 5 lbs. of it.
twistandstout

Post #4 by twistandstout » 3 weeks ago

I'm planning on entering this one in the brew slam comp, so I need to figure out if I want to stick with my tried and true recipe that I know is a good one, or experiment. I'm leaning towards experimenting. I think it may turn out really nicely. The chinook smells incredible.
Hebron
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post #5 by Hebron » 2 weeks ago

I'd really like to hear how this turns out. I've got a black IPA on deck, and I was just wondering what new hop to use. I've not worked with chinook on its own either.
Fermenting: Irish Stout, Ciderale!
Serving: Oktoberfest, Immodest Clone
Up next: Black IPA, Maple Porter
Brewmaster22
Favourite Beer: Red ale

Post #6 by Brewmaster22 » 2 weeks ago

Gotta love the Chinooks. They work great in dark beers too!
Check this link out
https://ychhops.com/varieties/chinook
twistandstout

Post #7 by twistandstout » 1 week ago

I am quite familiar with the profile of chinook as I've spent a lot of time reading up about it in anticipation for brewing this batch :D

Since my main fermentation bucket was occupied by 5 gallons of hefeweissen (fresh hopped with home-grown hallertau), I decided to use carboys to ferment this one. After cooling down the wort, I transferred to both a 3 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon carboy. Big mistake. Without blow-off tubes and with my primary fermentation usually happening in a sizeable plastic bucket, I had to clean out the airlocks over a half dozen times. The initial fermentation was so violent that I was awoken in the middle of the night by the wort shooting through the airlock and coating my entire ceiling with dark hoppy liquid goodness. I have now learned that I will keep primary to my bucket unless I acquire some blow-off tubes :facepalm:

Anyways, since I have this beer in 2 different carboys, I was going to dry-hop them differently. I've decided to go with chinook, simcoe, and amarillo for the main batch (3 gallon carboy). The simcoe and amarillo would be store-purchased pellets as well as home-grown and dried chinook leaf, and the 1 gallon batch would be exclusively dry-hopped with a big amount of galaxy hops that I have left over and would like to use (purchased one pound late summer).

I will keep updating this thread with how both turn out. A big part of me would like to use the 1 gallon batch as a test to do a 100% chinook, but the galaxy is pulling me in, not to mention the potential in naming this beer something revolving around "black galaxy" or the like. :laugh:

Return to “All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing”