Homebrewing soda?

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
virtualpaul
Favourite Beer: weissbier

Re: Homebrewing soda?

Post by virtualpaul » 7 years ago

I am wondering if there is a forum somewhere dedicated to homebrewing sodas.

Yesterday I almost got hurt with my home made ginger ale. My fridge downstairs is new and I did not adjust it yet and the temperature was ~10 instead of 4. When I opened my 2L ginger ale, I got completely immersed in ginger ale. It felt like opening a garden hose in my face... There was ginger ale everywhere (ceiling, floor, myselft). :laugh:

Stubrew
Favourite Beer: Bubbly

Post by Stubrew » 7 years ago

Luckily you found out before it literally exploded! I believe brent warned of that in this thread last week...havent had it happen yet, but the fruit beers did have me a lil cautious for a while there. (I still open those over the sink and at arms length cuz they do give an almighty bang when popped warm). Lol.
kegged: chocolate porter(deelish) / edworts pale ale (regular beer)
bottled: blonde(meh)/ tripel (ok)/ wake n bake stout(improving)/ hop project(meh)/black forest stout(getting better!) BYO Bock /belgian dark
SMaSH beers - citra/columbus / simcoe/ amarillo/cascade
no name ale/lager.

Swivel

Post by Swivel » 7 years ago

Got some Zatarains and going to try this for the kids. They say to use champagne yeast but my LHBS guy said I could also just poach a little of my beer yeast. What I worry about is having to drink it soon (5 gals is a lot of pop) and if it's allowed to warm, will it bomb?
Primary: Caramel Amber
Bottled:Honey Blonde, Root Beer, Albertan Amber, Pomegranate/Wheat Ale, Brown/Vanilla/Maple Porters, Caramel Amber, Milk Stout, Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale
Next:
Honey Blonde II

Swivel

Here's a link:

http://www.greydragon.org/library/brewi ... _beer.html

Interestingly, it states to use ale yeast and NOT champagne yeast!
Bottled:Honey Blonde, Root Beer, Albertan Amber, Pomegranate/Wheat Ale, Brown/Vanilla/Maple Porters, Caramel Amber, Milk Stout, Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale
Next:
Honey Blonde II

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim » 7 years ago

I've done pop a few time.
I found the best is a Lager yeast, the ale yeast was too bready, and the champagne yeast was too wine like. The lager yeast was the least noticeable.
The best sugar for roorbeer was a 1 cup 50/50 mix of brown sugar and turbanado cane sugar in a 2 liter bottle
typically I give it 3-5 days for carbonation, then into the fridge to chill.
I've bought the "old fashion homebrew extracts" in Rootbeer, Birchbeer, and Sasparilla. As well as Royal Rootbeer, all have been really good.

Oh and be careful sasparilla root is a carcinogen that's why it's so hard to find these days.

virtualpaul
Favourite Beer: weissbier

Post by virtualpaul » 7 years ago

SunyJim wrote:I've done pop a few time.
I found the best is a Lager yeast, the ale yeast was too bready, and the champagne yeast was too wine like. The lager yeast was the least noticeable.
The best sugar for roorbeer was a 1 cup 50/50 mix of brown sugar and turbanado cane sugar in a 2 liter bottle
typically I give it 3-5 days for carbonation, then into the fridge to chill.
I've bought the "old fashion homebrew extracts" in Rootbeer, Birchbeer, and Sasparilla. As well as Royal Rootbeer, all have been really good.

Oh and be careful sasparilla root is a carcinogen that's why it's so hard to find these days.

Thanks for the info. Did you mean sassafras root?

Swivel

Our root beer came out kinda weak...hafta use more extract in the next batch. It carbonated okay with ale yeast, but it seems to de-carbonate quickly. Oh BTW it was Fermentap, not Zatarains.
Next:
Honey Blonde II

rbrewer
Favourite Beer: Gose Rider

Post by rbrewer » 4 years ago

I know this is a fairly old thread however I ran across it as I was searching for some information on brewing root beer.

A poster above has noted they brewed some root beer and found it to be weak and was considering trying a batch and any more extract. I was wondering if you ever did this and what the results were?

I made a batch of root beer using Royal Root Beer extract. I found the flavor to be good but weak. The store I bought the extract from recommended cutting the sugar by 25% as people had been having trouble with exploding bottles.

Thanks

bellybuster
Favourite Beer: stout

Post by bellybuster » 4 years ago

I did this with rootbeer several years ago and had less than great results. The flavour was painfully obvious that it had been fermented. Work vs reward wasn't even in the ballpark of something Id do again.
I now have a good selection of Soda Stream flavours on top of my fridge and a keg of carb'd water is always on tap. Yes....one of my taps always has water behind it.

Mot

Post by Mot » 4 years ago

my wife tried the soda stream and she wasn't that fond of it, in fact it now sits in the cupboard collecting dust. check out the mr beer website they have a line called mr rootbeer