First Batch Fermentation Question

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
cm961

First Batch Fermentation Question

Post by cm961 »

Hey guys and gals,

I'm new to brewing and for my first batch I went with a Brewers Spring Light kit listed here http://www.vineco.on.ca/cgi-bin/display ... odCat=4917. Basically the wort is pre-made is my understanding. Anyway it's been about 3 1/2 days now and I see no evidence of fermentation (no bubbles out the airlock). I'm not sure what I messed up, perhaps the yeast was no good. It was a little cold initially (about 15C/60F in my closet), but I've left the door open so temperature is stable at ~17C/63F.

So should I add more yeast? If so what kind? I think the kit came with coopers brand but I've thrown out the package.

The good news is the kit says I can transfer to the glass carboy in 5 days allowing me to start a new batch in the plastic.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Pete

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

Re: First Batch Fermentation Question

Post by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT »

Pete

I checked out the link this is a small batch. I would'nt be at all surprised if this fermented out quickly, over night where you would'nt have noticed. I would say check the gravity, your kit should indicate what your FG/OG should be. If you hit your FG it was sneaky and fermented when you were sleeping lol. Cheers!

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing »

Bringing it up to 70F for a day wouldn't hurt either. The yeast will re-absorb the diacetyl produced, and you will see if they were just cold crashed out, which may be the cause of your stuck fermentation.

B&S is right, though. Specific Gravity is the first thing to check.

cm961

Post by cm961 »

Thanks guys, you were totally right. The specific gravity has risen though it isn't quite at the green beer mark on my scale yet, but definitely moved from initial measurements!

Thanks a lot!

Pete

cm961

Post by cm961 »

Correction: Specific gravity has dropped not risen...

cm961

Post by cm961 »

Follow up question: Is it safe to take the lid off the plastic container to check the SG every couple of days? Or is exposing the batch to oxygen and potentially stirring it up a bit a bad thing?

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT »

I would recommend using a sanitized wine thief to gather a sample if you really feel the need. It should fit through the air lock opening, that way removal of the lid is not necessary, also reducing the risk of contamination or infection. I don;t bother touching it, I rack right from primary into a keg, I take a sample at that time. The first few batches I was a little over anxious to check on things but now I let it do its thing.