Shopping list for the newb

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Lego

Shopping list for the newb

Post by Lego » 8 years ago

Ok... I want to start getting some equipment but I'm reading and reading but just don't see a newb list out there... well other than buying "kit". cash flow isn't this highest so honestly kits aren't on my mind... but if I can get a list from one of you experienced brewers I could start putting together my brewery!!! mmmm beer

I'm thinking of all grain brewing... only because heck its do it all or don't at all. I would rather play with my flavors vs buying someone else’s... I’m sure I will have lots of wasted beer because of screw ups. but what’s a hobby with out messing up.... :roll:

Think any of you can help me out?? Even some photos of your setups?

Thanks in advance! Cheers

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

Re: Shopping list for the newb

Post by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT » 8 years ago

I recommend reading all the DIY threads and researching as much as you can before you begin to assemble your brew setup. Decide what is within your budget and go from there. I second the all grain brewing, you can make the recipes and process as simple or as complex as you wish. Some of the most simple recipes yield some of the best beer. As long as you have a solid cleaning and sanitizing process you will make good beer!

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing » 8 years ago

Basic Equipment for all grain brewing:

A turkey fryer setup is cheap, and comes with a 30 L pot. Even if you are stove top brewing, for now, the cost of the combo works out well.

Add a 24 L bucket for fermentation. If you are going to bottle, you will need another bucket with a spigot on it. Get some siphon tubing that will fit the spigot you have (home depot). Just make sure it is food grade.

You will need some sort of mash tun, whether it be a straining bag for your 24 L bucket, or some form of manifold (google bazooka screen), or a keg with a false bottom. Here is a DIY I did for the cost of fittings and a couple mesh colanders: http://www.canadianhomebrewers.com/view ... ?f=12&t=41

You can make great mash tuns from 10 gal igloo coolers with copper manifolds. It costs a bit more up front, but, like all brewing equipment, will pay for itself fairly quickly, when considering the cost of a case of commercial beer...

You will need, at the least, a bottle capper, and some caps. You can pour the Coors Light down the drain, and use the bottles to package your homebrew in.

As B&S Custom said, cleaning and sanitization are key: http://www.canadianhomebrewers.com/view ... p?f=7&t=38 You can be WAY off in your recipe design, but you will still have a drinkable beer, as long as you clean well, and are VERY Sanitized.

Ingredient Shopping List:

Buy a couple sacks of 2-row, and 3 pounds each of about 10 different specialty grains, even if you don't know what they are for.

Buy a lb of Cascade. It is a cheap hop, and works for both bittering and aroma. You will learn this hop's aroma and flavours are very well, then you will be able to notice what the difference is when you switch up to a different variety.

As for yeast, stick to Fermentis US-05 dry yeast for now. It is easier to use than liquid, and tastes very clean.

Recipe Development:

Jamil has amazing recipes that have all won awards: http://beerdujour.com/JamilsBrewingNetworkRecipes.htm Substitute where appropriate via google searches.

Well. That should get you started, on the cheap, and will give you the capability to make a variety of different styles. I am sure others can chime in about any important stuff I may have missed.

Administrator

Post by Administrator » 8 years ago

Stickied for reference.

Tony

Post by Tony » 8 years ago

ihomebrewing wrote:Well. That should get you started, on the cheap, and will give you the capability to make a variety of different styles. I am sure others can chime in about any important stuff I may have missed.
About the only thing you forgot, and it applies to all types of brewing , is temperature control of your wort.
Sanitation and temperature control is probably the two most important things I have done to bring my brew from
Homebrew to Beer since I stopped using K&K kits
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....

migrantworkable
Favourite Beer: Dark Ale

Post by migrantworkable » 6 years ago

I've seen kits on the internet for quite cheap. Or even your local brewstore will have decent deals on brewing kits. It all depends on how much you plan on brewing. If you're brewing beer, most of the recipes seem to be for 5 gallons, so you might want that for a carboy.
Some sort of siphon.
A fermentation pail.
Hydrometer.
Thermometer.
Gloves when handling sanitized objects.
Sanitizer. I use potassium metabisulphite. It's in powder form, it can be dissolved in water, and a little goes a long way. Plus, it's cheap and doesn't ruin your clothes or other surfaces.
Airlocks for the carboy.
Bungs.
Bottles.
Caps.
Capper.
A brewing pot.

Ingredients vary depending on the brew, but that is a basic equipment setup.
Bottled: Black Rock bock
Fermenting: Wine

timcadieux
Favourite Beer: Leffe Blonde

Post by timcadieux » 6 years ago

You could also go electric instead of using a Turkey Fryer...look at the Cajun Injector

http://downstairsbrewer.com/brewing-equ ... r-brewpot/
Check out my Home Brewing Blog at http://downstairsbrewer.com/ or my Travel Discussion Board at http://chattytourist.com

SeanGodd
Favourite Beer: Belgium Trappist

Post by SeanGodd » 5 years ago

Something i don't have is gloves. Is that a good investment to help brewin the wort?
Cheers!!

Sean Goddard
Head Brewer
Whitewater Brewing Co.

oro
Favourite Beer: one I am drinking

Post by oro » 5 years ago

SeanGodd wrote:Something i don't have is gloves. Is that a good investment to help brewin the wort?
I use starsan in a spray bottle and spray on my hands when sanitizing, always sanitize gear as I am about to use it. I also soak some paper towel in starsan and have it ready and use that to wipe things like racking canes and lines as they are inserted into brew, never had an issue yet.
Beer has food value, food has no beer value...