Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
g_brew
Favourite Beer: IPA

Re: Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum

Post by g_brew » 6 years ago

i did SOOO much research on this subject before going AG... i ended up going aluminum originally... NOW, i have stainless steel, just cause it's cooler :)

however, there seemed to be equal pros and cons for each, and for the price you just can't beat aluminum... and if you're drilling through it to put valves and things, HOLLLLLY aluminum is easiser to work with than stainless... for me i've brewed with both... and i can't say i like one more than the other! so specially if you're just starting in AG - aluminum will help lower your initial cost..
Go Brew Something!

Canmoore
Favourite Beer: Belgian Ale

Post by Canmoore » 6 years ago

Noob hear, but Aluminum has a lower BP than SS. So do Aluminum pots allow for quicker boiling of water/wort?

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing » 6 years ago

The property of consideration between aluminum and SS efficiencies is thermal conductivity. Aluminum is 215k at 115 deg C, whereas SS is 17k at the same temp. To reference, a very conductive metal, copper, is 400k, whereas an insulator, glass, is 1k.

This means that the heat transfer is more efficient in an aluminum pot. The effect may not be significant, as there are greater convective heat loss issues that overpower conductivity efficiencies. The surface area contact of the pot vs, the volume of the liquid being heated also levels the efficiency playing field much.

Here is the ref for the stated info:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/therm ... d_429.html

kombat
Favourite Beer: Broadhead Wildcard

Post by kombat » 6 years ago

Note that one key difference is that you can't use oxygen-based cleaners (like PBW and Oxyclean) to soak aluminum vessels. It will pit the metal. You have to wash and rinse immediately. With stainless, you can let it soak.

waterskj
Favourite Beer: Rouge Dead Guy Ale

Post by waterskj » 6 years ago

What is your budget for the pot

I just got a 19 gallon pot Stainless Steel for 170 from ontariobeerkegs.com

g_brew
Favourite Beer: IPA

Post by g_brew » 6 years ago

waterskj wrote:What is your budget for the pot

I just got a 19 gallon pot Stainless Steel for 170 from ontariobeerkegs.com

OBK has really great deals on pots... a few years back when I bought mine, discount ones were still 300$ and barely available in Canada - in those days aluminum was a significant cost savings, as you could get a big 20 gallon aluminum pot from bass pro shop for 130$ - now days I don't think it's worth it with OBK's price on kettles
Go Brew Something!

SunyJim

Post by SunyJim » 6 years ago

OBK rocks, just bought a 15Gallon from Patrick.
Love that store, he's got everything now!

Reignman
Favourite Beer: Pilsners

Post by Reignman » 6 years ago

I had to smuggle all my pots from the US 10 years ago. No one sold SS pots and when I found one that did, the price was just stupid. We have come a long way, but what took us so long?

lylo
Favourite Beer: SN Pale Ale

Post by lylo » 6 years ago

Reignman wrote:I had to smuggle all my pots from the US 10 years ago. No one sold SS pots and when I found one that did, the price was just stupid. We have come a long way, but what took us so long?

Blizzards and US customs! :@
I don't get drunk, I get awesomer!