Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
Sixstring78

Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum

Post by Sixstring78 » 8 years ago

I'm getting ready to purchase all of the equipment to go all grain and was just wondering: are there any drawbacks to using aluminium pots instead of stainless steel?
Thanks!
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

RichC999

Re: Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum

Post by RichC999 » 8 years ago

Some people are concerned with potential health risks from aluminum. It all started when they did autopsies on alzheimer's patience and found aluminum in their brains. But it seems there is no conclusive evidence. Personally I use both. I don't find there to be any difference mind you I'm not using a turkey fryer but instead doing stove top boils.
BTW congrats on going AG :)

Rich

Sixstring78

Post by Sixstring78 » 8 years ago

Thanks! That's pretty much what I was thinking, mind you, I will be using a turkey fryer. Appart from the fact that SS is probably more resistant to corrosion(I'm not sure if any of the cleaners or sanitizers would gradually corrode aluminum?) I can't imagine that aluminium would have much of a difference. And when I'm just getting started and need to ideally buy three separate pots, it will be much cheaper. :)
Colchester Village Brewery
"Canada's Most Southern Brewery"

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing » 8 years ago

There is no problem with aluminum with respect to any causal diseases. Any relation to Alzheimer's has been dismissed years ago (but that is a whole different topic).

In fact, aluminum forms a passive layer of aluminum oxide, which makes the surface chemically inert to brewing conditions.

Use PBW to clean, when there is heavy soiling. Stay away from bleach. But that is recommended with stainless also.

Even with stainless, the HLT and MT can be cleaned with clear water and an abrasive sponge.

This saves on cleaner, and is just easier.

Aluminum has an advantage of greater heat dispersion over stainless, which is why they impregnate stainless pots with a layer of it on the bottom.

RichC999

and the cost savings makes aluminum the clear winner in my books.

XXXXX
Administrator
Favourite Beer: Cold

Post by XXXXX » 8 years ago

I went over this debate with myself and some others also...ultimately I went with aluminum. It made more sense for me (could afford a 63L pot, instead of a smaller one, for example).

I've yet to use it, but I don't anticipate any issues.
Mmmm... Beer... *drool*

RichC999

I wonder if aluminum is infecting my beer. Every time I drink 6 or 8 I have trouble talking, get into fights and suffer memory loss... What do you guys think? :D

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing » 8 years ago

I think we need further testing...

B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

Post by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT » 8 years ago

I experience the same symptoms, I don;t use any aluminum though. I have also experienced morning sickness, and my belly seems to be getting larger I hope I'm not pregnant!

RichC999

O my god!! I think it's spreading!