Let's discuss yeast?

Just getting started out in the world of homebrewing? Ask your questions here!
B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT
Favourite Beer: Mine

Let's discuss yeast?

Post by B&SCUSTOMEQUIPMENT »

Hey guys what do you use? Do you like the convenience of dry yeast or do you get right into propogating liquid yeast starters?
I like a little of both depending on beer styles, for the most part I make starters for most of my brews to get the correct pitching rate.
What kind of equipment do you use for your starters ie flasks, growlers, stir plates etc? I would like to share some tips and techniques on all things related to yeast, and also yeast harvesting.

Cheers!

ihomebrewing

Re: Let's discuss yeast?

Post by ihomebrewing »

I like recycled yeast from the bottom of the fermenter best of all:

When I rack off the primary, the trub in the bottom gets a good sloshing around.

After that, let it sit for a few minutes, to settle a bit, then carefully pour into a couple 500 mL sanitized mason jars.

This mix goes in the fridge, and has the proper dose for another 10 gal batch of beer. The yeast settles out clean, and happy.

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing »

As far as dry yeast go, I don't like anything but Fermentis, to tell the truth.

There are many cheaper dry yeasts out there, but I find they all give that 'off' homebrew flavour that I dislike.

In particular, Safale US-05 is a VERY clean yeast. I just pitch right on top of the thick foam of a WELL aerated wort, and it rehydrates nicely as it settles into the wort to get to work. And get to work it does :shock:

It is close in flavour profile to White Labs Cal Ale yeast, and that is saying something, because Cal Ale yeast ferments ales as clean as a lager yeast when it is handled right.

KDKid

Post by KDKid »

How drastically will your results be affected when pitching your yeast into a wort above the recommended temperatures (ex. 80 degrees F)?
On Tap - St. Chuck's Porter (AIH kit)
Bottled - Gingerbread Brown Ale
Primary -
Coming up - Cascadian Dark, Glacier-Simcoe-n' stuff IPA

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing »

Depending upon the yeast strain, you may get a totally different beer.

No matter which yeast you use, however, you will get a more estery flavour profile (think fruity flavours), and fusel alcohols (think hot solventy flavours, yum).

Most of the fusel flavours should clean up if you leave the beer on the primary yeast cake for a bit longer (say 1 or 2 weeks), and don't be in a rush to drink it.

If you are wanting a very clean flavour profile from your yeast, ferment on the cool side (around 68 F).

It also helps if you are using an American ale liquid yeast strain that has been properly started, or has been harvested from a previous brew.

For the Blonde Ale kit, I can get a near lager flavour profile using Cal Ale which has been harvested once or twice, and ferments at 68 F. Virtually NO yeast flavour is imparted.

Fermentis S-05 is also a remarkably 'clean' tasting yeast strain when harvested off a previous batch.

Tony

Post by Tony »

I have used liquid yeast for years, but more recently, have switched to using dry yeast for the convinience
of being able to brew on a whim. I use US-05 for APA's, S-04 for English Ales, and W34/70 and S-189 for lagers.

I rehydrate my yeast and adjust the yeast temperature to match the wort temps so as not to stress the yeast
prior to pitching. Healthy yeast makes great tasting beer.
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....

RichC999

Post by RichC999 »

I'm really interested in yeast. Currently I've only used Wyeast 1056 (american ale). I ferment at very low temperatures (an advantage of living in the Alberta). My basement is very cool and I plug up the air vent. So far I have gotten excellent clean flavor. I'm curious how US-05 would compare to this as there must be a huge price difference (?) Activator packs cost me $10 bucks at my LHBS. I welcome comments about this.

As previously posted in the DIY.. I have built a stir plate. I also have acquire many size beakers and Erlenmeyer flasks... As well as a propane torch, petri dishes etc. I really want to make yeast slants. There is an excellent sticky on homebrewtalk.com. Currently I have never made a starter as my batches are 5 gallons and the activator packs seem ideal.

Rich

ihomebrewing

Post by ihomebrewing »

I find US-05 to be about the same as 1056 after I re-use it once, and it is used to being in liquid form. Mind you, when I use this yeast dry, I do not rehydrate it. I just pitch it on top of the foam from the aeration step, and it slowly sinks in.

Re-using yeast is the hip thing to do for all those cats out there looking for better flavour profiles, combined with cost savings.

Tony

Post by Tony »

I wouldn't use any liquid yeast unless I made a starter so as to bump up the amount of viable yeast. Sure you can get away with
pitching it, and yes it will make beer, but is that all you want?
To me, making the best beer I can is worth the extra time to make sure I pitch optimal yeast into my brew. This means that I want
the right amount of healthy yeast so that my beer won't crap out on me 3/4 way into fermentation, or I won't start getting off flavours assoicated with poor yeast pitching rates and health.

I know people have been getting away with under pitching yeast into brews for years and say they make great beer. Not having tried their beer, who am I to argue with them, but I will say that in my opinion and the opinions of a lot of better homebrewers than me, correct pitching rates make better beer. But as always your results may vary.
http://brewnosers.org/

How do you BBQ an elephant? First you get your elephant....

Jack

Post by Jack »

Since i've only made 2 batches that were both from extract kits, i've just used the pack of yeast that came with it. I let it sit in warm water with some dextrose for about 30 min. before i pitch it. Yeast wasn't something i've given much thouht to since i'm new to all of this but i guess i'll have to since i want to switch to all-grain soon. The all-grain kits i've looked at online suggest which yeast to use, is it sfae to go with their suggestions or are there certain yeasts you can rely on for most beers?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.